Phosphate Medias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently running phosban in a fluidized reactor and I've been thinking about changing it out for a different kind of GFO media. I am trying to find some that allows for a higher flow rate through the reactor to process the phosphates more efficiently, what do you all use?

I use BRS's GFO. It's good stuff, but in terms of processing at a higher flow rate that's not real advantageous.

First, higher flow rates induce more tumbling, which can actually cause the media to break down into dust and pass through your reactor. You want some tumbling of GFO, to keep it from solidifying, but not so much that you're turning it into dust.

Second, longer exposure time of the water to the media is better for actually allowing the media to actually absorb the phosphates.

I definitely agree with you Neilan. I was just seeing if maybe some new product has come out that actually does allow the high flow and absorbs phosphate faster. New tech comes out so often now days that sometimes I miss it.

Guess I'll just stick with my slooooooow flow of phosban for the time being then.

BRS sells a great dual media reactor that gets great reviews.

Back
Top Bottom