Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I can definitely recommend phosgaurd as well. I used it in my tank. Went from extreme levels to none in a short time. And most importantly they have stayed down

Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
I can definitely recommend phosgaurd as well. I used it in my tank. Went from extreme levels to none in a short time. And most importantly they have stayed down

Oh forgot Phosguard, now that's a good recommendation!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Phosphate reduction...

Quote:

I agree about Phosguard. I have had better luck with it than GFO for multiple reasons. It will however lower phosphates to the point SPS/LPS loves it, but soft corals like mushrooms and Xenia might die back. Also watch your alk, especially with GFO. Move slowly as a phosphate reduction that is too rapid can catch some corals off guard, kind of.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ideal phosphate is not 0 but not more than .03 ppm for all corals. I never use any of those media but I kept my phosphate level with just a good skimmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Had a question about your statement. First, you can keep phosphates at below .05ppm with just a protein skimmer? No fish? Wish I could do that.

Also, some corals do just fine at even above .2ppm or more. Yes, for best SPS coloration and best polyp extension in stoney corals that value is about .05ppm is accurate, but some soft corals do well with more.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The key word is "ideal" which means for most corals like sps and lps. The 0.05 ppm is the critical value. For soft corals you don't even have to worry about the phosphate level as long as you do your pwc religiously. We know that phosphate comes from anything you add in your tank which would be the fish food and additives. The answer to the question is yes I have a phosphate level of just within 0.03 ppm. You have to stay away from flakes. I sometimes have to shut off my skimmer for several days just to maintain my phosphate level. I feed pellets and may be frozen food once a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There's the difference, I feed daily.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
Why do you say that? I've had CPE reduce phosphates plenty before. Sure, GFO is ideal, but only when run in my reactor IMO/IME.

If you look @ a bag of cpe , you will see gold specs, thats the gfo & as you can tell its not very much of it. It is true that gfo works best in a media reactor but in my systems i have run it in a canister filter & top of a media basket with great success but that was in my system.

Now just be be clear, i run ff, purigen & cpe in my system daily but when a phosphate issue pops up i use gfo which i believe was the question asked, its getting late so i could be wrong, lol
Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

I tried it on two separate occasions and didn't have much luck with either time but gfo fixed it within 24 hours, but that my system.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

GFO crashed my alkalinity when I finally got it to fluidize in a reactor. Just watch out for that when using a significant amount.

Tags
ate, phosphate, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com