Phosphate reduction- phos-gard vs GFO...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had success with GFO in a reactor, and phos-gard in a media bag... Question is, due to the complete dislike of mess that GFO creates, can I run the Seachem Phos-gard in a reactor?

You can run any media in a reactor. What ends up coming down the pipe is if you need to have it in a container within the reactor. Something like Purigen does as it is so fine. I'm currently experimenting with pantyhose and so far like the results. Something like Phosguard is really large and shouldn't need anything like that in my experience.

The BRS reactors come with a sponge, well 2 actually, could put on on the return end as a safekeep. Also, Seachem recommends running it in a media bag, it's stated after they also stated that it can be run in a reactor, so I guess i was a little confused... Should it be in a media bag IN the reactor? I guess it wouldn't hurt, and would hold it together, as it did also state to not have it tumble on itself... I should have the MJ1200 tuned wayyyy down for this attempt eh??

You can. I've done it both ways. They have a product called The Bag too...so I suspect this is why everything is made to go into a bag...but I've been experimenting with panty hose, my favorite reef accessory.

Panty hose... Cheap, durable I suspect, and very fine... However, very taught. Seems as it would completely inhibit flow THROUGH media, and force it around... Just thinking out loud.

That's why I said experimenting. Work in progress. But I have run Phosguard without a bag. Some gets caught in the sponge, but for the most part does a good job. Also run BRS reactor.

Results are similar. Only difference is that Phosguard lasts about 28 days...you'd have to check their website to check but I believe that is the life span. Compared to the BRS high capacity GFO that I've used it can be longer if you get it to tumble right.

I tumble Phosguard.

Reason:

Both work equally well.

GFO clumps, making it unusable for tumbling in a high calcium tank after a few weeks. I've tried all brands and grain size.

It's messy, stains everything.

Phosguard color changes to give you an estimate as to when to change it. It turns a light chocolate brown.

Phosguard tumbles easier and doesn't clump as bad IMO.

Some say the aluminum in Phosguard is unhealthy, I have seen no sign of that.

Just a few observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks Greg. I'm under the impression it should barely tumble, like less than a boil effect GFO requires. How do you tumble?

Also, the aluminum was rumored to leach back into tanks. Seachem actually proclaimed this incorrect and denies any such claim, as stated on their website. Thanks for adding it had no ill side effects to your tank to solidify such claim.

I use a filter sock on the output to be sure no fines enter the water, but I have used it for years with tangs and sensitive corals with no issues.

Most reactors will work with the stuff. You want a very light tumble where you are seeing just a few grains dancing on the surface of the product. It has a protective coating to reduce grinding, but don't put it to the test, just keep it gentle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will take what you said and what Hank said into consideration. I below be I will run it in a media bag, in conjunction with a sponge on the top side of the reactor. Thank you guys.

Back
Top Bottom