Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2004, 11:51 PM   #11

I use Phos-X by Hagen and it seems to work well..
Old 03-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Actually Phosguard is one of these products that does leach Al according to Randy Holmes-Farley in this article
whoa....

ive been looking at tropic marin and two little fishies but they are cost prohibitive.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:03 AM   #13

Yep Seachem rules!!Best phosphate remover on the market!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

SO you disagree with the article, Captivereefs??

Anyone else out there have any good or bad experiences with Phosguard by Seachem?

What about PhosBan by Two Little Fishies?? They say; "it's Julian Sprung’s Formula of ferric oxide hydroxide granules." "And it is completely reef safe, unlike alumina-based adsorbants"

What do we know about this stuff...better than Phosguard?? Im definatly worried about this Aluminum **** now though. What the hell is ferric oxide hydroxide granules anyways, and is it safe for my corals? I know they say it is, but has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

Thanks again for all the help! You guys are Good Fellas!
-Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

well from what i gleamed from the advanced aquarist (which by the way julian sprung contributes a few articles) is that if you are using phosguard according to instructions you will be well under the Al ppm that Randy required to get those dramatic results. what i would like to know is if the Al ppm continues to rise after more than one week of usage. i believe that kents product is the same or similar to seachems. so do the same results apply to kents product.

cannot say if phosguard is having adverse effects in my tank. i only know that the product has made dramatic improvements. though i would like to explore the ferric oxide hydroxide path. its just so expensive.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks again douggiestyle...and you should check out marinedepot.com they have the PhosBan for $12.29 for 150g.

I ordered some Seachem Phosgaurd, but im also going to pick up some PhosBan too. Try both of them ....see whats what!

Also, does anyone know of an AL test kit?? I know Salifert doesn't make one.

Thanks
-Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 01:19 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
marinedepot.com they have the PhosBan for $12.29 for 150g
thats a lot cheaper than the lfs. they want 20$ for 150g

thanks for the tip

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 03-10-2004, 05:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
what would AL do to corals? kills them or just amke it so they would not open? i have a taodstool that has not opened for about 3 day now and the frog spoon who is slowly not opening as much but the finger leather was wide open for the past few days. would the AL have some thing to do with this?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what would AL do to corals?
Al is toxic in high enough concentrations (i.e. it can kill) As Randy Holmes-Farley says in his article:
Quote:
It has little in the way of positive biological functions. I am not aware of any marine organisms with a demonstrated requirement for aluminum. It can, however, be toxic to marine organisms at elevated levels.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

Quote:
i have a taodstool that has not opened for about 3 day now and the frog spoon who is slowly not opening as much but the finger leather was wide open for the past few days. would the AL have some thing to do with this?
I seriously doubt that Al had anything to do with it. I think we may be getting a little "revved up" over nothing here. I am going to continue using my SeaGel . I don't believe there is cause for concern...

Tags
phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com