Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Phosphate removers???

I have been having a massive amount of green hair algae since I put new lights on my 20g long reef tank. I've had the new lights (CSL PC's) for about 3 1/2 months now, so i was hoping to see some of this algae go away, but it hasn't. So a week ago I bought some macro algae to try an outcompete the microalgae. Halimeda and 4 shaving brush plants (Penicilus.sp).
I just got a Salifert Phosphate test kit and it is saying my PO4 are "critical" (.10ppm) to "coral growth retarded" (.25ppm) somewhere inbetween probably.
I've been using distilled water the entire life of the tank which is about 7 months along now. I tested the distilled and there was absolutly no PO4 in it...to my suprise.
I don't know how the PO4 got so high. I feed once or twice a day, flakes and mysis shrimp or brine shrimp all in small amounts.
I have a percula clown and a small domino damsel in the tank with two cleaner shrimp and corals and a clam. I also use DT's phytoplankton (only feeding once a week) and I add one ML of Coral Vital daily.

Im thinking about using some PO4 remover media in the media basket of my skimmer, (I usually have activated carbon running)
I've heard some bad things about PO4 remover especially with soft corals.

Does anyone know about PO4 removers? Will it be harmful to my tank inhabitants. I only have a couple of soft corals...mushrooms,button polyps, and a red chilli coral (Nephthyigorgia). All other corals are LPS and one T. Derasa clam. Plus a clean up crew of crabs, snails.

Thanks for any help, and if there are particular brands of PO4 removers to use, or to stay away from, that anyone knows about, please let me know.
Thanks again
-Mike

Old 03-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I have used Phos-zorb with no i'll affects to my softies. Flake Food is usualy a good sorce of PO4.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
I used the poly filter it worked great.

Good luck Dewey
Old 03-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

OH cool!! thanks guys!
So, is it some kind of a myth about these media being harmful?

Did you guys see some serious decreases in microalgae??

Thanks again!!
-Mike
Old 03-07-2004, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
phos-zorb works great my po4 are at 0. but ya you might want ot cut down on the feeding too. i feed every other day and in vary little amounts at a time
Old 03-07-2004, 12:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol, I use tap water and my one turbo keeps up in the 10 gallon
Old 03-07-2004, 03:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
So, is it some kind of a myth about these media being harmful?

Did you guys see some serious decreases in microalgae??
some phosphate removers can leach aluminium into the tank, i am unsure which do. it is my understanding that Al can be very harmfull to fish.

i use phosguard by sea chem full time and noticed immediate results. i use the phosguard full time. i also use it as a replacement for carbon per seachem's product discription. kent has an identical product.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
I add one ML of Coral Vital daily.
Is this the "Mark Wiess" coral vital? If so thats a big part of your problem. Stop using anything with his name on it and you will likely see a rapid decrease in your algae blooms. JMHO Couple that with some phoszorb or phosguard and you should be happy within a month or so. Who wants to divide their tests by .0009 anyhow LoL. Good luck

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
some phosphate removers can leach aluminium into the tank, i am unsure which do. it is my understanding that Al can be very harmfull to fish.

i use phosguard by sea chem full time and noticed immediate results. i use the phosguard full time. i also use it as a replacement for carbon per seachem's product discription. kent has an identical product.
Actually Phosguard is one of these products that does leach Al according to Randy Holmes-Farley in this article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

According to Seachem, I e-mailed them, they say that Phosguard is not soluble in water and it cannot leach any aluminum back into the water. Randy seems to disagree...

I actually use Seachem's SeaGel . It is a mixture of Phosguard and Matrix Carbon. I am thinking about switching to another phosphate remover when I use all of the product up.

Tags
phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com