phosphate removers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pots1964

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi , this is my first post, so be kind.
would i be right in assuming phosphates are removed mechanically and not chemically, meaning they are a solid. If this is the case, is it possible to burn off the phosphates from the filter media. I have used phosguard by seachem, and had fantastic results.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
PO4 is removed manually, via water changes or chemically, via chemical filter media like Phosguard. When dealing with a PO4 problem it is best to turn your attention to how it is getting into the tank instead of how to get it out. THe two most common avenues for PO4 to get into the main tank is in poor quality source water and in food. The cures are to use a good quality RO/DI water that is free of PO4 for all water changes and top offs. Feed less and rinse all frozen food in RO/DI water before feeding the tank.

thanks for the quick reply, as i said everything is fine now. the problem arose ( i think)when i had a caulerpa crash in my tank, i had many types which i used to harvest so as not to clog my corals. within a week it all died off and i got the dreaded cyno. I think i ran low on iron in my water. thank you

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Lando got it. (Plus I just wanted to welcome you).

Welcome to AA. Get rid of Cualerpa unless you plan on keeping it lighted 24/7. Cheato is a much better choice.

Back
Top Bottom