Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Phosban reactor by two little fishies works great I had a bad algea/bacteria problem and now there gone now took about 3 weeks.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get a turkey baster and suck up some water close to where the hair algae is growing and test it. You may not have enough flow to dissipate it and it collects in dead spots. Iread somewhere that this is the cause of many a headaches.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have read a lot of good and a lot of bad about phosphate removers. Since you seem to be doing a lot of the right things, I would look at your new lights and possible overfeeding as a source for the explosion.

My personal approach to 99% of problems like you have is to get something that eats it.

Emerald crabs love this stuff. I also had a rainford's goby that just tore up hair in my nano. With a 10 gallon nano, one emerald crab should do the trick, and he will eat other stuff once the hair is gone. Reef safe crab, better than a hermit for hair algae.

PS if you have flatworms, get a nudibranch. a velvet nudibranch will suck them up in no time. They only live for a few months, so it will die shortly but it will be one happy, fat nudibranch and will wipe out the flatworms.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to try an emerald crab...see how well he works....I prefer the natural method.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Emerald crabs ate all the green bubble algae in my tank. The snails ate all the hair algae. I am so happy right now
Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i dont fully trust the emerald crabs. although none of mine ever gave me problems. i dont have any right now and i have bubble algae i never had before

steve
Old 09-09-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've seen some emeralds really wipe out a tank full of hair algae. I would recommend getting one if your looking to get rid of the algae. Wouldn't a lawnmower blenny also be good for hair algae?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I plan on trying an emerald....I have in excess of 20 snails in a 10 gal tank, so they are munching well, but they still cant keep up.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

i also had a huge green algae / cyano problem so i hooked up 2 phosban reactors up to a maxijet 1200 1 full of phosguard and the other full of carbon and its working well.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is only 10 gal, im not sure how easy it would be to hook up a reactor to it.

Tags
phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com