Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Phosphate retractor / algae turf scrubber

So I am looking at upgrading my sump and my system and I am looking at adding a phosphate retractor and algae turf scrubber. I'm looking for some advice on how to build the turf scrubber and what type of phosphate retractor to purchase( tank is 60 gal) also what is the best flow through the phosphate retractor and algae turn scrubber and what type of gfo should I use? I'm thinking on connecting the two so I only have to use one pump. Any advice is well appreciated.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You better do one or the other, not both. The scrubber and phos reactor will fight each other and make the scrubber useless.

To build a scrubber, all you need is 1 watt of light per sq. inch of screen. and multiply total water volume by 10 to get the gph needed for flow.

The physical construction is pipe with slit, pump, and plastic mesh from a hobby or craft store, and lights(most use cfl's in shop reflectors.)

Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok sounds good I ended up getting a phosphate retractor. I have some mrx,bioplastic in it right now( lfs recommended it. I do have some gfo coming in the mail so we will see how the bioplastic works) if after 4 months I see no change I will add the turf scrubber.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just change the media every 2 weeks for a month(while testing to see if the madia is saturated(full) then you should be able to change once every 2 mos or so depending on phos load.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85
Just change the media every 2 weeks for a month(while testing to see if the madia is saturated(full) then you should be able to change once every 2 mos or so depending on phos load.
That is what I am planing on. Also how much water flow? I would think just enough to get the media to bounce around some.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I believe the "rule of thumb" is to get the media to do a gentle roll in the reactor. You can tee off the return pipe and place a valve to regulate the water flow. Just take it easy when starting it up and all should be fine.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I ended up getting the phosphate reactor and building a algae turf scrubber. I thought it could not hurt anything. I have the return line of the phosphate reactor plumbed to the turf scrubber, and I must say for $10 spent at home depo it was a good investment. Everything is running smooth and I plan to have some pictures up in the following weeks to show the progression
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #8

Correct... it will not hurt anything. However since the algae won't grow that much (because of the P reactor), it will not be able to remove much nitrate, or make many pods.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica
Correct... it will not hurt anything. However since the algae won't grow that much (because of the P reactor), it will not be able to remove much nitrate, or make many pods.
The purpose of having the algae turf scrubber plumbed after the reactor is for it to "grow/catch" algae and excess phosphates and nitrates that the reactor does not catch.

Tags
algae, phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com