Phosphate retractor / algae turf scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am looking at upgrading my sump and my system and I am looking at adding a phosphate retractor and algae turf scrubber. I'm looking for some advice on how to build the turf scrubber and what type of phosphate retractor to purchase( tank is 60 gal) also what is the best flow through the phosphate retractor and algae turn scrubber and what type of gfo should I use? I'm thinking on connecting the two so I only have to use one pump. Any advice is well appreciated.

You better do one or the other, not both. The scrubber and phos reactor will fight each other and make the scrubber useless.

To build a scrubber, all you need is 1 watt of light per sq. inch of screen. and multiply total water volume by 10 to get the gph needed for flow.

The physical construction is pipe with slit, pump, and plastic mesh from a hobby or craft store, and lights(most use cfl's in shop reflectors.)

Ok sounds good I ended up getting a phosphate retractor. I have some mrx,bioplastic in it right now( lfs recommended it. I do have some gfo coming in the mail so we will see how the bioplastic works) if after 4 months I see no change I will add the turf scrubber.

Just change the media every 2 weeks for a month(while testing to see if the madia is saturated(full) then you should be able to change once every 2 mos or so depending on phos load.

kdogg85 said:
Just change the media every 2 weeks for a month(while testing to see if the madia is saturated(full) then you should be able to change once every 2 mos or so depending on phos load.

That is what I am planing on. Also how much water flow? I would think just enough to get the media to bounce around some.

I believe the "rule of thumb" is to get the media to do a gentle roll in the reactor. You can tee off the return pipe and place a valve to regulate the water flow. Just take it easy when starting it up and all should be fine.

So I ended up getting the phosphate reactor and building a algae turf scrubber. I thought it could not hurt anything. I have the return line of the phosphate reactor plumbed to the turf scrubber, and I must say for $10 spent at home depo it was a good investment. Everything is running smooth and I plan to have some pictures up in the following weeks to show the progression

Correct... it will not hurt anything. However since the algae won't grow that much (because of the P reactor), it will not be able to remove much nitrate, or make many pods.

SantaMonica said:
Correct... it will not hurt anything. However since the algae won't grow that much (because of the P reactor), it will not be able to remove much nitrate, or make many pods.

The purpose of having the algae turf scrubber plumbed after the reactor is for it to "grow/catch" algae and excess phosphates and nitrates that the reactor does not catch.

Back
Top Bottom