Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimaT View Post
i wouldn't waist my money on one of those 100 bucks test kits when you can get a phosphate reactor for that price.

if your tank is new then hold off on buying unnecessary equipment/supplements.

do you use rodi water? if the tank is new, do you have your lights on for too long? do you have chaetomorpha? do you use chemipure elite carbon?

if your tank is over 6month old and you still have hair algae then you prob have a phosphate problem. (simple as that)
Regardless of the price, I have to agree to TimaT. Although I have 3 seperate tests for Phosphates, including a Hanah Checker still sealed in its box, algae is what I use to measure my excess nutrient levels (Nitrate and Phosphate). Other than my cheato ball, the only algae I have is on my drains and return line where the snails can't get to. When I do periodically test phosphates (maybe once per month), my API test shows between 0 and 0.25.
If I had a problem with algae, THEN I'd be concerned and test more often and probably with the checker.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Again the point is PO4 is important for things outside of algae. 0.01-0.03 is a desirable range for optimum growth and coloration of SPS coral. 0.25 is too much and can cause growth and coloration issues. That's not to say it won't live or grow. So yes I agree it isn't a necessity to test for PO4 but it is helpful in establishing an optimum environment.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimaT View Post
i wouldn't waist my money on one of those 100 bucks test kits when you can get a phosphate reactor for that price.

if your tank is new then hold off on buying unnecessary equipment/supplements.

do you use rodi water? if the tank is new, do you have your lights on for too long? do you have chaetomorpha? do you use chemipure elite carbon?

if your tank is over 6month old and you still have hair algae then you prob have a phosphate problem. (simple as that)
I don't have any algae problems, I was asking if p03 is necessary to test for
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plain and simple answer to your question is "no" if you are not having any sign of algae problem. Sometimes your phosphate reading will even be zero if there is enough algae consuming it.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Plain and simple answer to your question is "no" if you are not having any sign of algae problem. Sometimes your phosphate reading will even be zero if there is enough algae consuming it.
Exactly the point of my question since all algae, sand rocks and even corals will bind it, you will never know the 'true' reading.. Although I agree with other posts that it is a good idea to have a general idea
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I kind of agree with both points. Checking phosphates is useful but because aquarium testers can only test for inorganic phosphate and not organic phosphate they're usefulness is limited. The Hanna tester or the Red Sea kit, which I use, is good to have, especially for a beginner. That said, a GFO reactor is a better investment than a very expensive tester. You can just add GFO and at the first sign of hair algae replace it. You don't need, or want, to have zero phosphate, you just don't want algae.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I will probably go with the Hanna checker since it seems like a lot of people like it.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Never used the Hanna checker kit

always used API and sulfert maybe I will try them as soon as I need a new kit since I hear a lot of good things about them

as for checking parameters
I check nitrite , nitrate , ammonia , ph daily just out of habit
as for phosphate , calcium , kh/alk I do them weekly
I also log all my readings so I can do comparisons if needed
looking at my log I can tell when things are going south and correct things as needed
the log also reminds me when I'm due for water changes , and other maintenance as well it's my guide to a healthy tank ,
I can compare my readings to as far as when I first set up my tank and can tell you exactly what I did on certain days if needed
yes I'm a junkie when it comes to my tanks I'm hooked lol
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed
I also log all my readings so I can do comparisons if needed
looking at my log I can tell when things are going south and correct things as needed
the log also reminds me when I'm due for water changes , and other maintenance as well
This is excellent advice. Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have phosphate issues in my 55 reef. The color of my corals was mostly browned. I have been battling it with GFO through a reactor, but didn't see much improvement. I added a Hanna checker, Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter - Bulk Reef Supply, and it has greatly assisted me adjust things. The hair algae growth has slowed considerably. It can take months for corals to regain color, so I can't report on all of them but many are getting bright.

Sometimes things can be expensive in the SW side of the hobby. The tester costs 50 bucks, might not be in everyone's budget but it is the best phosphate test for us as hobbiests IMO. It is simple to use. If you are looking into these, I would assume that you are getting into corals. If this is the case, the Hanna calcium, alk, and phosphate tests are bundled together on marinedepot.com for less money and might be worth looking into for a "down the road" sort of purchase.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phosphate, test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com