Phosphate test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aadair22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I was wondering what you guys use to check phosphates. I seem to find negative reviews on every test kit on the market. The hanna checker may be what I go with in the near future, however, I was also wondering if testing for phos is a necessity. I have read different things regarding that as well, such as to get a true reading, crush up some sand with your test kits.. If you have algae then you have phosphates so no need to test for them since you can look in your tank and see whether or not they are present..

Help is appreciated!

I think in a reef tank, it is a good thing to test for them, especially if newer to the hobby. I test mine once per week.

I use the HANNA checker, which is easy and convenient. However, I also like the red sea PO4 test kit since it is easier to read than the salifert or API tests. It is slightly less subjective.

PO4 kits aren't the most accurate kits, especially the ones we use as hobbyists. However, I think more important is to just get an order of magnitude of how much PO4 is present - the EXACT value is not as important. Most of the kits out thee will provide a good rough order of magnitude for you.

i wouldn't waist my money on one of those 100 bucks test kits when you can get a phosphate reactor for that price.

if your tank is new then hold off on buying unnecessary equipment/supplements.

do you use rodi water? if the tank is new, do you have your lights on for too long? do you have chaetomorpha? do you use chemipure elite carbon?

if your tank is over 6month old and you still have hair algae then you prob have a phosphate problem. (simple as that)

I use the API kit. I've got all three, Fresh, Salt, and Reef. If they're bad kit's so be it, but at least they're consistently bad... I've found my readings to be consistent and I just give the benefit of the doubt to the manufacturer and assume they're correct as well.

I would say it is not as simple as that. The presence of or lack of phosphate has further implications than just the growth of hair algae.

None of the test kits mentioned even approach the $100 level in cost.

Yeah, that would be overkill. The meter I referenced in the Hanna Checker, which is usually around $50. I think orders of magnitude are the important info. The accuracy that unit you linked provides is not necessary.

I agree - it isn't a requirement for success. But it can be helpful, especially if one intends to keep SPS or other demanding corals. Obviously 1.0ppm is not acceptable, but 0 ppm is not the right answer either. It can help make decisions on GFO and other media, and really in the long run could save money considering phosphate removal media is quite expensive.

Last edited:
Me too. It is a good, simple tool that provides plenty of accuracy, especially for the cost.

i wouldn't waist my money on one of those 100 bucks test kits when you can get a phosphate reactor for that price.

do you use rodi water? if the tank is new, do you have your lights on for too long? do you have chaetomorpha? do you use chemipure elite carbon?

if your tank is over 6month old and you still have hair algae then you prob have a phosphate problem. (simple as that)

Regardless of the price, I have to agree to TimaT. Although I have 3 seperate tests for Phosphates, including a Hanah Checker still sealed in its box, algae is what I use to measure my excess nutrient levels (Nitrate and Phosphate). Other than my cheato ball, the only algae I have is on my drains and return line where the snails can't get to. When I do periodically test phosphates (maybe once per month), my API test shows between 0 and 0.25.
If I had a problem with algae, THEN I'd be concerned and test more often and probably with the checker.

Again the point is PO4 is important for things outside of algae. 0.01-0.03 is a desirable range for optimum growth and coloration of SPS coral. 0.25 is too much and can cause growth and coloration issues. That's not to say it won't live or grow. So yes I agree it isn't a necessity to test for PO4 but it is helpful in establishing an optimum environment.

I don't have any algae problems, I was asking if p03 is necessary to test for

Plain and simple answer to your question is "no" if you are not having any sign of algae problem. Sometimes your phosphate reading will even be zero if there is enough algae consuming it.

Plain and simple answer to your question is "no" if you are not having any sign of algae problem. Sometimes your phosphate reading will even be zero if there is enough algae consuming it.

Exactly the point of my question since all algae, sand rocks and even corals will bind it, you will never know the 'true' reading.. Although I agree with other posts that it is a good idea to have a general idea

I kind of agree with both points. Checking phosphates is useful but because aquarium testers can only test for inorganic phosphate and not organic phosphate they're usefulness is limited. The Hanna tester or the Red Sea kit, which I use, is good to have, especially for a beginner. That said, a GFO reactor is a better investment than a very expensive tester. You can just add GFO and at the first sign of hair algae replace it. You don't need, or want, to have zero phosphate, you just don't want algae.

I think I will probably go with the Hanna checker since it seems like a lot of people like it.

Never used the Hanna checker kit

always used API and sulfert maybe I will try them as soon as I need a new kit since I hear a lot of good things about them

as for checking parameters
I check nitrite , nitrate , ammonia , ph daily just out of habit
as for phosphate , calcium , kh/alk I do them weekly
I also log all my readings so I can do comparisons if needed
looking at my log I can tell when things are going south and correct things as needed
the log also reminds me when I'm due for water changes , and other maintenance as well it's my guide to a healthy tank ,
I can compare my readings to as far as when I first set up my tank and can tell you exactly what I did on certain days if needed
yes I'm a junkie when it comes to my tanks I'm hooked lol

54seaweed said:
I also log all my readings so I can do comparisons if needed
looking at my log I can tell when things are going south and correct things as needed
the log also reminds me when I'm due for water changes , and other maintenance as well

This is excellent advice. Couldn't agree more.

I have phosphate issues in my 55 reef. The color of my corals was mostly browned. I have been battling it with GFO through a reactor, but didn't see much improvement. I added a Hanna checker, Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter - Bulk Reef Supply, and it has greatly assisted me adjust things. The hair algae growth has slowed considerably. It can take months for corals to regain color, so I can't report on all of them but many are getting bright.

Sometimes things can be expensive in the SW side of the hobby. The tester costs 50 bucks, might not be in everyone's budget but it is the best phosphate test for us as hobbiests IMO. It is simple to use. If you are looking into these, I would assume that you are getting into corals. If this is the case, the Hanna calcium, alk, and phosphate tests are bundled together on marinedepot.com for less money and might be worth looking into for a "down the road" sort of purchase.

Back
Top Bottom