Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buddha_red

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey gang,

I feed thawed and drained mysis shrimp and some formula one pellets. I just checked my phosphates and they are at 5ppm! I keep my tank clean and its over a year old now, What am i doing wrong?

api test kit
ammonia 0
nitrates 0 or really close to it.
Nitrite 0
phosphates 5ppm

What was the reading the last time you tested it before today? A phosphate level of 5 can be deadly. Do the test again to make sure you did it correctly. If it comes up at 5 again do a large water change and take it from there. Phosphates are usually caused by over feeding or it comes from your water source. Are you using tap water for anything?

Last edited:
Are you using RO/DI to rinse the frozen? I'm not sure on the pellets, but they may be causing some of your phosphate problem.

What was the reading the last time you tested it before today? A phosphate level of 5 can be deadly. Do the test again to make sure you did it correctly. If it comes up at 5 again do a large water change and take it from there.

I'd have to disagree. Can you provide a source?

I'd take a look at the pellets too. I'm assuming you are using the RO/DI in your my tanks. If not, then there's a good place to look too; er tap

Im making a batch of water now and just tested it and no Phosphates coming from the ro/di.

I havent been rinsing the food with ro/di, ive just been draining it. DOH stupid me! I will start doing that and do a water change when my water is ready.

I agree with Capt, hippo must have posted while I was typing.

I really don't think that not rinsing your food with RO/DI or using pellets have gotten you to 5ppm. I don't rinse my food at all, and use flake AND pellets every once in a while, and have no detectable phosphates. Granted... I run GFO, but my phosphates were only barely measurable (0.03) before I started running it.

Just to echo what hippoguy asked... when was the last time you checked phosphates and what were they then? Is this the first time you've checked for them? And what brand test are you using?

I'd have to disagree. Can you provide a source?

I'd take a look at the pellets too. I'm assuming you are using the RO/DI in your my tanks. If not, then there's a good place to look too; er tap

OOPS...... I meant to say a phosphate reading of 5 can be deadly to corals, I didn't mean deadly to fish. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Back
Top Bottom