Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetmech2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the best thing to use to remove phosphates? I've had my tank going for 9 months and my phosphates stay around .45 ppm to .55 ppm (Hanna checker)

Phosban
Or run Chemi-pure Elite

The chemipure really is good stuff. Keep my water crystal.

Water changes using water with no phosphates. After phosphates have been reduced, rinse frozen foods and limit flake foods which are known to contain phosphates.

Gti_Leo said:
or waterchanges

I do 10 to 20% water changes every week (I have a 220g tank). I use a six stage ro/di unit. .5 and 1 micron filter, carbon filter, di chamber, and two di chambers. I have 0 TDS in the water I use for top off and mixing salt. I use red sea coral reef pro salt mix

Sergie said:
Water changes using water with no phosphates. After phosphates have been reduced, rinse frozen foods and limit flake foods which are known to contain phosphates.

I alway rinse frozen food with water I get out of the sump, I don't use flake food. I do use algae sheets.

is it a newly setup tank? if so and you had the rock from another tank it is possible that the phosphates are leeching out of the rock. just keep up with the waterchanges and if you'd like you can look into gettign PURA pads or a phosban reactor with GFO

there is also the possibility that if you have a refugium with micro algae, mainly cullerpa that it has go sexual and is now releasing phosphates into your system that it had once sucked out

Last edited:
Gti_Leo said:
is it a newly setup tank? if so and you had the rock from another tank it is possible that the phosphates are leeching out of the rock. just keep up with the waterchanges and if you'd like you can look into gettign PURA pads or a phosban reactor with GFO

there is also the possibility that if you have a refugium with micro algae, mainly cullerpa that it has go sexual and is now releasing phosphates into your system that it had once sucked out

I've had the tank fully set up for 9 months, the guy I got it from had it for a year with about 100 pounds of rock, I got another 100 pounds from a guy off Craig's list. The only macro algae in sump is chaeto. I guess it's coming from the rocks. I had gfo from bulk reef supply and I tried it in a reactor and in a sock and it turned my rocks brownish and I got a major algae out brake each time I used it. (and yes I rinsed it before I used it)

Back
Top Bottom