Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mardaman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just tested my Phosphate level and it is a little above 0.64. Is this a good level. If it is too high what problems can high Phosphates cause, and how can that be brought down.

Thanks.............mardaman

Is this a reef tank? If so, that level is way to high. You want to see less than 0.03 PO4 in your tank. Above that level it can inhibit coral growth. It can also cause excess nuisance algae growth in your display tank.

It can be brought down by efficient skimming, growing macro algae, and by using Granulated Ferric Oxide in a reactor.

BRS sells a nice easy reactor setup, and also sells some very high quality GFO. I use them both myself to keep my PO4 under control - combined with skimming and macro algae growth. My PO4 was around 0.11. It has dropped to 0-0.02 since I started running high capacity GFO.

I would run HC GFO from BRS try there suggested amount and if it doesnt start coming down add a little more a little at a time. I hade high phosphates too and it wasn't till i doubled the suggested amount and started replacing it every two weeks that I got it to zero. HC GFO will remove it quickly sometimes to quick and can starve your corals if you have any. So start out slow

Back
Top Bottom