phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a problem with my phosphates being too high(1.0). I hade a yellowhead sleeper goby that died from popeye. He was being treated and did really well. He lost the eye and was still eating and swimming around. Then a few days later he disappeared, I think the crabs got him. I did a few water changes and cleaned the tank really well...no body. that was last weekend...now I have a brownish algae all over the glass and the tank looks like crap! My tank always looks like crap please tell me what to do...I'm going crazy

What is your water source? If using tap water test it first. This was an issue for me early on before I switched to RO. I did countless pwc, but could not bring my levels down then it dawned on me to check the tap water and that was the issue.

HTH,

I know the tap water is the problem..I have tested it. I live in an apartment and the nearest place I can get ro water is 20 miles away..Its not easy lugging water in here..If I ever spilled I'd be in big trouble..I don't know if I'm even allowed to have a big tank in here. Do you think the sand sifting goby dying is part of the problem?

Not sure about the death, was it a newer addition? The cleanup crew probably took care of it once it died. The death and high phosphates are probably contributing to the algea now.

For water I would suggest getting a few 5 gal water containers with caps. I have 4 myself. You can get them at most discount stores (wal-mart) in the camping area for about $5-6. If you go this route do not forget to add osmo prep back to the RO water before mixing it. This way you can maximize one trip.

Otherwise look into purchasing an RO unit and run it into a rubermaid tub prior to pwc. I think they are avialable for 20/gal a day for around $100. Now that I upgraded to a 90 w/ sump I plan to go this route after x-mas.

A phosphate sponge material might help as well, but in the long run you are fighting an uphill battle since each time you do a pwc you are adding it back in. Do you have the ability to filter you water? You could set up a rubermaid with a canister filter on it with phosphate remover prior to mixing.

Good luck,

I believe the fish dying is a large part of your current algae problem. Most likely a sudden push of nutrients into the system from it decomposing (even if the crabs ate most of it). You should do a large water change to remove as much as possible and get things back in equilibrium. Popeye could have occured either from physical trauma or poor water conditions...of which phosphates alone wouldn't solely create that kind of environment (at only 1ppm). Your tapwater probably also has other nasties in it (you are entitled to a local water quality report once per year).

A few fixes for your water. Get a DI or RO/DI system, many have feeds that you don't have to pierce the water line but can attach and detach it from your faucet. The other option would be to get a Polyfilter or similar pad that would remove things from the water and keep it in your mixing container (add a new one each water change).

If you do nothing, it will be tough to eliminate the problems, although you could start by adding as efficient a skimmer as possible...do you currently use one now? You could also use Polyfilters and/or other removal resins on the display tank.

sillyfishy said:
I know the tap water is the problem..I have tested it. I live in an apartment and the nearest place I can get ro water is 20 miles away

For the money spent on gas alone the investment in a good ro\di unit would be worth it.

You can get ro\di pretty cheap on ebay.
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop (the ones for $119 come loaded, 3rd page)
http://stores.ebay.com/Filter-Direct-store

And pet solutions has the poly filter pretty cheap
http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=18204080&EID

I’d get the larger pad since you use a wet/dry. If you are looking for more info on what this pad does checkout http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyprod.htm

Also for a 55 your tank is close to being fully stocked if not over even if all your fish are babies. You might want to consider returning a couple back to the lfs or giving them away for the long term health benefits for your fish.

green chromis, max size 2” X 2
sleeper gold head goby, max size 7” (dead now)
ocellaris clown, max size 4” X 2
blue tang, max size 12”
royal gramma, max size 3”
figure 8 puffer, max size 6+” (also are you sure this is the kind of puffer you have as it’s mostly a brackish fish)

Total fish length at full maturity 39", excluding the goby. Total fish length for a 55 SW should be 11” minus the tail.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=fishcapacity

thanks so much for all the advice...I did do a big water change after the death and couldn't find any remaines. I dug thru the sand and moved all the rocks. I cleaned the glass and replace carbon and I just started running phosgaurd. The pellets you put in the filter to try and abosorb some of the phosphates, I'll give it a few days and test again. I'm sure my puffer is a figure 8( 2inches). I got him from a gross pet store 3 years ago. I had two, one died a few months ago. He has done very well in there. He does bite me know and then but other than that hes a great little fish and less agressive than the porcupine puffers I used to have(they murdered one of my clown fish).Well xmas will be here soon, maybe i can get all I need then. The tank has been set of for 3 years so I'm sure they will be ok for a little longer...I'll buy water till then

Back
Top Bottom