phosphates in fish only a concern??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a 70 gallon fish only tank at work. We do not have a R/O unit and Id rather not pack water if I dont have to... With fish only, do I still need to worry about phosphates or is that just with a reef??

Phosphate and silicates promote algea growth but there are sponges and media you can by to remove some of that. In order to be sure if your tap water is ok to use, take a sample and test it for phosphates, silicates, and nitates. You can fill your tank with Distilled water which is stripped of everything so you need to replenish trace elements which some synthetic salts will do for you. I've read that your substrate also acts as a sponge and your phosphates can accumulate over time along with other metals. I've seen tanks crash after five years. I've known people who had to strip all their substrate out because the hair algae got out of hand. You lose alot of beneficial bacteria that way, you can release noxious gases....its just not fun. Again, have your water tested and maybe invest into an ro/di later.

Back
Top Bottom