Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

phosphates in ro water

I checked my RO water and I am getting a reading of atleast .25 (phosphates), what do I need to change? Appearently this is my algae problem

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you buying it or is it your own system? If it's your own have you changed/cleaned the filters recently? Flushed the membrane? Is the test kit good or expired or exposed to heat?

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar problem and changed my DI filter. Seem to fix it up.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Start by changing your DI resin first. It is less exspensive then the membrane. If you are still seeing PO4, replace the membrane. Do you have a TDS meter?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't have a TDS meter, wish I did. What is the DI resin? It doesn't show me in the manual. In fact, it's not very informative at all. I wasn't aware I should clean it, it just says to replace the membrane when the water is cloudy or smells bad or the TDS meter shows it needs it.

Thanks everybody for all the help. I was under the impression that these filters would last me a year. I have had it 5 months. Does that sound right?

Sorry for all the questions, Alex is gone during the week so I am forced to do the "man work" ha ha. J/K

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have an RO water filter or RO & DI? You might not have a DI filter. Some you can just change the resin in the canister others, you have to change the whole cartridge.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine has both ro and di. So what I am changing basically is the first cartridge. In the manual it marks it as DI. Before looking at it I thought it was the top one. Then I see there is carbon and sediment. Doesn't say what the top one is. Which one is the membrane?

Old 02-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also is what I am looking for universal and easy to find or do I need to purchase this online?

Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, what I have is the aqua fx barracudda if anyone is familar with this model

Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Check with one of AA sponsors or Aqua FX directly. They should be able to get you what you need.

Tags
phosphates, ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com