Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Phosphates question

I have learned that high nitrate and phosphate cause unwanted algae. Are phosphate to be treated like nitrate? In other words, should I drive to have phosphates as close to zero as humanly possible? Or do I need to have some? I have sps coral. Just wanted to rid my algae. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's true that you need to have some nitrate but not more that 5 ppm and phosphate of not more than .08 ppm. It's just the right amount for photosynthetic corals to help them process their food. Having 0 readings or too much on both will deter the coral growth. There are some hobbyists with 0 readings on both but still having algae problem. You need to know first the things that make algae grow faster. Aside from those 2 mentioned their growth also depends on the kind of light, its duration and excess nutrients. You need to minimize them. On lights, i use more blue since algae loves the white (6500k). You also need to employ other means that can compete the consumption of nitrate before the unwanted algae takes it. Phosphate however comes directly from whatever you add in your tank like food and additives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Jeff. This was very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
ate, phosphate, phosphates, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com