physics lesson the hard way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
so, i installed my bulkheads for my sump, got it up and running then realized i had made a ridiculous mistake. for some reason, all my "research" had led me to believe i did not need an overflow box, so i plumbed two 3/4" returns and a simple 1" drain in the middle, at the top of the tank. rigged it all up, looked beautiful. turned on the pump, no leaks! but then, i realized that my drain wasn't draining so well. thinking about it, it's obviously because there is not enough water pressure to force it down. whoops. can't believe i didn't think this out better before hand. would it be pointless to add another drain to compensate? should i plug the drain i have, drain the tank, drill another hole in the bottom and install a stand pipe? for the time being i've got one of the returns running with half of my pump pressure running back into the sump, and i threw a powerhead in to add some flow. arggh.

What size pump are you running? My frag tanks just have a bulkhead drilled in the wall and have a 1" drain. They will only handle about 600 gph.

the pump is a mag 9.5 on a 55g, i know a bit overkill but i was planning on teeing it off so i could keep this pump if i moved up to a larger tank/larger overhead. still, can't imagine this drain keeping up with even like a mag7. I'm going to add another drain and a tee to the pump, see what happens.

Depending on the head height, a Mag7 might be too much. I had to throttle back a mag7 on mine.

Something you could do is put in a T on the return line and create a discharge line back into the sump. That may the tank gets flow and what it cannot handle gets dumped back into the sump. I do this with my PCX100 in my basement. Since my overflow is limited on flow, I just divert some back into my sump. I also now feed my 20L frag tank and the 10 gal frag tank from the same pump.

If you can drill another hole, do it. I wish I had another.

Back
Top Bottom