Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Normally gurgle is caused by the over flow out running the pump. That is the water level on the collection side of the overflow empties out and starts to suck air...heh. There are a couple ways to lower or rid the noise all together. I have an Amiracle U tube overflow with dual bulkheads in it. (1 1/4") In my case I can get 'gurgle' by either starving the overflow or over driving it. I have a Mag 9 so at 4' I am pushing about 1350 GPH. With the addition of a 3rd U tube I should be able to open her wide but for now I use the ball valve on my return line to throttle back until the noise is acceptable or in my case all together gone. I also dropped (literally its just sitting in there..) a 3/4" 90 degree elbow into the 1 1/4" bulkhead and that has helped ALOT.
As for breaking the siphon, I have run my overflow in all kinds of messed up configs and have never seen both tubes loose siphon. In your case if you wanted to be cautious you could use a smaller diameter u tube (Or cut one from a Lee's J tube..etc) This would restrict the flow even further into the overflow.
GL!

Old 04-21-2005, 02:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
go with the U tube, i have slowed the flow in my tank to check that and somehow it just doesn't break the syphon. mine is rated for 600gph and i use a mag seven but once used a maxi jet 1200 to see if the power went out or something if it would break the syphon and it didn't, just make sure the overflow is built right where when the power cuts off the back part of the U tube in the overflow box is still submerged.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
yeah thats why I am going to buy the overflow instead of build it. the sump I am going to build myself. (accually just Mod a tank.) It will work like the ones at Melvsreef.comreturn Ts and passes through a ball valve to feed the fuge.)

And I want to split the return so that I can get rid of that ugly Maxi-Jet in my tank.

So I am thinking about working with a higher flow rate and getting like a Mag 9.5 or 12 for the return pump. Can anyone suggest a better pump?
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just bought a mag 18 for mine (Replaced a RIO 3100 which still kicks but) and its a really quiet and powerful pump. The 9.5 will yeild about 800 GPH @ 4' which is just over 20x turnover/hr if your using it on your 37G tank. You can get a 3/4" y adapter to split the output. I like a nice wide spray instead of the traditional directional nozzle so I went from 3/4" out from the pump into a 3/4" ball valve into a 3/4" y into 1" pvc 90 degree elbows for the out flow. I would not recommend a 90 degree tee for splitting as T's provide a fair amount of push back on your pump. Most folks do use them, I just wanted the most out of my pump. Now I am in need of a 3rd U tube to keep up ! ; )

GL!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
If I tee the return hose, am I loosing any gph? I think I am going to want about 600 Gallons an hour flowing back into my tank to maintain the current amount of circulation that I have.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:44 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
if you want 600gph flow and random flow or branched flow then go with like a mag9.5 with the sqwd (squid) or even a 12 depending on height but more then likely the 9. and i would recommend the mag drives, im a first time uses besides using rios and catalina's and im sold on them. very dependable and sturdy.

Tags
flow, ick, overflow, overflow box

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com