picked up a hammer coral need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys picked me up a hammer coral yesterday for 20 dollars for 4 heads. plus i see at least two small forming heads that already have visable tenticals on them. its two pieces one piece has 3 heads plus the two small ones and the other has the one. it came from the same colony i believe. the pet store said a guy was taking his tank down and selling frags and other stuf from it. on the trip home one of the heads lost a few tenticals with some white stuff they are connected to. now this morning all the heads are open and looking good and those tenticals it lost are even looking alive and expanded, is it possible to for a new one of these lost tenticals or will they eventually die off, they are on a flat rock with little or no current high in the tank. The hammers are both on the bottom level of tank for now till they adjust to the tank, then i will move them closer to my power compacts probaly closer to the frogspawn..

I don't know the answer to your question but that is a great deal on the hammer I am hoping to find a bargain like that.

it was a great deal i am proud of my buy i was only allowed 30 dollars this week for my tank by my fiance and when i found this hammer for that price i said sold to the petstore guy showing it to me he asked which one i wanted i said both!!! i am starting to think its two diff colonies now tho one has more of a green tint the other is more brown. that part that fell of i have been reading this coral can reproduce asexually if it gets stressed it showed up in the bag on the way home so i think it has the water current is not strong in this spot it landed so i hope it will attach and form a new one.

another thing to add when the portion of tenticals landed were they are now the white part was visible now it is almost like it has wedged itself into a small crevice on the rock and the tenticals turned up to the light... and dont know if its possible but could it have wedged itself in like that on its own or just by chance...

The small pice that fell of is still living i decided to check on it yesterday while i was cleaning and it moved with the current, soon as i picked it up gently i found that the white part was hard so i glued it to a piece of dead coral rock and placed it on a high perch. wat do ya think does that piece have a chance its already open after i glued it opened this morning well it dont really close at night just deflate.

Back
Top Bottom