Picked up some Xenia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BONESTOCK

Aquarium Advice Activist
So they like lots of current?

Strong/med light?

Marine Snow is good stuff to feed it right?

Iodide is also what I add?

Any other info/tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

EDIT: Also...when I bought the Xenia..it was pulsing. The first day I had it...it was pulsing. Then over the next couple days more and more, starting with the bigger ones, stopped pulsing. Now none pulse....they just flow in the current....is that normal? I like when they pulse.....does it have to do with the current? Thanks again!

They like moderate current. you dont want to pound them with direct current but good flow around them. as long as you have good parameters, you really don't to add anything to get them to grow. as soon as they take to yuor tank, they will spread and grow on their own.

Cool! Thanks for the quick reply! Now about that pulsing....hummmm? :mrgreen:

it be caused by a couple things. direct current or too strong a current will cause them to bend over and not pulse. being so new to the tank, it could still be getting use to your water. it could using the energy usually used to pulse to do other things. it has been known that xenia does not ship very well, and may take a little while to take to your tank. also, xenia does not ned to pulse in order to survive, it is just kind of an extra benefit to the aquarist. sometimes they will just stop pulsing for no reason, then start again down the road. just be patient and see what happens, that is all you can really do.

Okay thanks!!! They look great....got alot bigger and I've only had them for a week! The current does have them swaying a about a 55degree angle so I guess it may be strong...but it's not direct current.....

Most of the current is coming from the middle/back powerhead. The powerhead is blowing at the front of the tank and deflecting off of it onto the Xenia. Thanks alot!

In my experience they like higher salinity (1.025-6) higher alkalinity, They love Iron, and mine actually do better as the water conditions get worst. They like moderat current and medium light.
What I mean byworst water conditions is that, the water never gets bad, but when it is time for a partial they seem to pulse harder and grow and split faster. Some people even use them to pull bad nutrients out of the water. Mine LOVE phytoplankton

Back
Top Bottom