Picking Brains Re: Brains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4brains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had read that brains like to be on the sandy substrate (I know mine does! - anyway), I recieved some pretty ones today. They are all attached to good size pieces of live rock.

In reading, seems I recall that being placed on rock causes their flesh to receed. Should I put them on the sand on their rock or would it be OK to perch them on some rock in the tank? The reason for asking is I have a nice shelf on one of my rock pieces that needs a nice showpiece coral, trying to decide if this is best for the critter though.

I think generally they do best in the sand. They prefer low-moderate light and flow and the sand bed usually provides them. You can try it in the rock work, and move it if needed.

After seeing you have MH, I would recommend starting on the sand bed in order to allow the brain to acclimate to your lighting for awhile. I would also recommend using the "screen method" of light acclimation.

I agree that they do better on the sand substrate. I`ve seen times that others have put on their rock and the fleshy part starts to recede. They do much better on the sand. Can you post a pic of it on the piece of rock? How big is the rock?

Brain corals like a sandy bottom because their polyps/flesh will get damaged easily on rock work. I have a very large brain coral in my tank it is on the sand bed.

Another vote for the sand. It may require the occassional "dusting" to keep sand from irritating the tissues.

Back
Top Bottom