Pineapple sponge control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolea

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know a way to keep pineapple sponges under control? Does anything eat them? Also how do u get rid of spiroid worms? What causes them?

Thnx

Sponges are good harmless filter feeders, no need to control them, usually only frow in sumps and some darker areas

Sponges are good harmless filter feeders, no need to control them, usually only frow in sumps and some darker areas

Agreed.

Why do you need to remove them? If you have too many of them then they have an abundant food supply which could mean over feeding.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Why do you need to remove them? If you have too many of them then they have an abundant food supply which could mean over feeding.

There are quite a few in the tank and they are barricading some of the corals. I feed minimal amounts of frozen brine mainly, with garlic and omegas: twice a day. Corals are fed once a week. They all eat it up quickly, is that overfeeding?

nicolea said:
There are quite a few in the tank and they are barricading some of the corals. I feed minimal amounts of frozen brine mainly, with garlic and omegas: twice a day. Corals are fed once a week. They all eat it up quickly, is that overfeeding?

I'd say.. I would feed both every two days

jsmith said:

Well let me clarify that... what corals are you spot feeding? I don't spot feed any of mine .

jsmith said:

Well let me clarify that... what corals are you spot feeding? I don't spot feed any of mine .

I just blow by smaller particle food. Anything from zoas, torch, hammer, xenias, candy canes, etc.

They are algae eaters, they wont harm coral.

And as for overfeeding it depends on the tank, hard for one to say just why what foods and how often. If you constantly have algae or algae on the glass it will fuel their populations. Minimize nutrients and they will be kept to small numbers.

Schism said:
They are algae eaters, they wont harm coral.

And as for overfeeding it depends on the tank, hard for one to say just why what foods and how often. If you constantly have algae or algae on the glass it will fuel their populations. Minimize nutrients and they will be kept to small numbers.

Thanks a bunch. I will try to reduce. How long should I keep the seaweed clip in? I would assume that's also contributing to the problem ..

mr_X said:
Can I see a picture of the Q-tip sponge infestation that's all over your corals please?

I'm away for work for a week. I will send some pics than.

Back
Top Bottom