Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pink and green algae growing?

i have pink and green algae starting to grow all over my dead coral. should i be concerned or is this normal ?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That depends on what kind of algae it is really. If it is hard, it is probably coraline algae and IMO a good thing. This is normal though as dead coral is really just rock and is going through the process of becoming "live".

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have a photo? Its either coraline which is good or cyano which is bad. If you can brush it off its not coraline and may be cyano.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry if the pictures arent very clear. i took them with my phone haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	algae1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	109186   Click image for larger version

Name:	algae 3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	109187  

Click image for larger version

Name:	algae2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	109188  
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What size tank? Looks like cyano too me. I would use chemiclean, but some one will correct me and say your nutrients are high (which I know) Chemiclean removes the nutrients so you can start over and keep them down.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

sixty gallon. and i can find this stuff at petsmart or something?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chemiclean does not remove the nutrients, it just kills the cyano. A large water change has to follow its use, and that reduces nutrients. But if the underlying cause (overstocking, overfeeding, etc) is not remedied, it will return. I only recommend it as a last resort, especially because it requires going without a skimmer for 2 days.
Petco usually has it, but again, last resort.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i only feed one big meal a day. and they eat like crazy so i cant imagine its over feeding. i have four fish in a sixty gallon is that too much? im just not sure what to do to get this stuff to go away. i also couldnt find any chemiclean at petco or petsmart
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You may be a little overstocked as well. The blue tang I dont think should be in a tank smaller than 100gallons but im not 100%. Its sold online as-well.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

While I do agree that the Hepatus Tang needs a larger environment, at that size, I don't think it's contributing to the bioload enough to call it overstocked.
Battling cyano is not easy, or fast, generally. Step one is to measure your nitrates and phosphates and record those values. Step two is to do a massive water change. 50% is preferable. Test and record again. Should see a drastic decrease. Step 3 is to adjust feeding.
Now, I do one large meal a day as well, but it takes several minutes to do so. I feed just a tiny amount at a time. The goal being that all food is eaten before it has a chance to hit the sand. This way, none is wasted to contribute to nutrient overload.
Step 4 is to evaluate flow in the tank. Cyano cannot adhere strongly to anything, so it tends to accumulate in areas of low flow. Increasing flow will often dislodge it and hinder it's growth.
Sometimes, nothing else works. You can do all of the above and it continues to grow and spread. That is when chemiclean comes in. Chemiclean will make your skimmer go completely bonkers, so it needs to be shut off for 48 hours (can we say nutrient buildup?), and treatment followed with a massive water change before the skimmer can be turned back on.
On the other hand, I've seen far worse cyano growth than what is in those pictures. If you an keep it at that level, I honestly would ignore it.

One final thought. Though they do not eat it, genereally, nassarius snails help keep it from accumulating by constantly disrupting the top of the sand. Hermit crabs do the same on solid surfaces.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, green, green algae, pink

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com