pink plate coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just brought home a pink plate that I bought from the LFS. After acclimating it I positioned it at the bottom of my tank. My question is what is all the slime that is coming off the plate and is this normal?

Will my Perc's take to this like an anemone?

Thanks,
Rich

My question is what is all the slime that is coming off the plate and is this normal?

This is normal for a stressed coral. Moving the coral will case it to slime. This slime is a protective measure by the coral. When you put the plate coral in your tank did you tilt it to make sure no air was traped under it?

Maybe. Thats about the only thing you could say.

Good, I didnt know if the slime would hurt the rest of the tank. Yeah I read somewhere that you should tilt it so you dont trap any bubbles under it . What will happen if there is though? I want to move it cause there's a spot under it where the substrate is not level and you can see under the plate.

I have a Rio 800 PH in the tank pointed down towards the plate for movement. The tentacles are moving pretty good, can I actually have too much water flow?

Thanks,
Rich

Well technicly the slime is a form of chemical warfare. Some slime is ok but if the thing is belching out cups upon cups of it. Thats another story

I would shoot for more indirect flow. Try to have the tenticles so they sway back and forth in a moderate to gental current. If you have to much flow the coral will not expand fully.

Yeah, it only slime'd when I initially put it the tank and I got most of it out with a fish net.

I put the little control valve on the PH, so it now has a gentler flow rate.

Thanks,
Rich

Hope not, my pink skunks from years back adopted a LT plate and killed it. Thie tissue is very easily injured and they are prone to infection due to injury. Heliofungia actiniformis is an easy coral to care for, but unfortunately has high mortality rate in the aquarium, another issue is that they are single polyp corals, the entire coral is one polyp, so when an infection starts it is very rare to save it.

Well so far the Percs just swim down to it and go away, but my Domino has been sitting in it.

If something bad happens to the plate what are some signs of it dying?

Also should I change my lighting times now that I have the plate? I usually have the light on for 8-10hrs. a day.

Thanks,
Rich

well i just had a frogspawn die on me and every one said you will know when it is dead. the smell of dead fish and the slime that looked like mold and all the hermit crabs trying to eat it. hermit crabs are meat eaters and will find any thing that is dead in your tank. hope that helps

IF its dieing the tissue will have noticable regression. Usually this starts by it not expanding as much as normal and seeing more of the hard skeliton than normal.

Back
Top Bottom