Pink Tipped Anemones? Updated: Is it dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hear one of two things that they are a good beginer anemone, or that they are incredibly difficult. I also hear that they can live off direct feedings every 3 weeks or that they should be fed diced shrimp and muscles a few times a week. What confuses me the most is that some say these guys can live off low lighting conditions, and others say you need very strong lighting.

If anyone can help sort these inconsistantcies, I'd like to know the truth, I bought one earlier today.

Well...what kind of anemone is it exactly? Is it a Pink Haitian, a Florida Condi or another kind of anemone?

though it was sold to me as a pink haitian, i belive it is more likely a florida condi. the purple (pink) tipped arms are pretty predominant like the florida condi, plus mine lacks the orange base of the haitian

IMO they are not a good choice for a reef. They tend to "walk" all over the tank and will sting other corals you may have. They are also known to end up getting into your powerheads and that is just a mess. They can handle feedings once or twice a week. The more you feed it the larger it will grow. As for lighting I would say that 4-5wpg would be ok. I don't think you are going to be happy with it in a 20g tank though as I said it will walk around the tank. More times then not clown fish will NOT host in the condi. HTH

i have a 90 gallon, and the florida condi first walked around a little bit, until it found its spot. now it doesnt move, and my smaller maroon clown just began going in it yesterday, but it took a VERY long time, and as mentioned, they normally dont host, but there's always hope. and they will get quite large, the more you feed. just my 2 cents. . .

melosu58 said:
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=5&item_id=45

Does it look like this?

it does, physically, though i cant say colorwise, as the pics a little dark.

i just fed the clowns some emerald entree just a few minutes ago, and now (half an hour later) the amenome has just packed itself into a tight bunch inside the hole it rooted itself in. the tentacles are deflated and bunched in too. at first i thought he was dragging the food bits to his "mouth" but i dont think he is now

the tanks 76F and specific gravity is 1.023

is this normal for anemones to bunch up like this? sorry, no pics

They close up sometimes...My LTA does it every once in a while. How long have you had it in your tank? Did you acclimate it to both the water and to your lighting? How high up in the tank did you place it? Has it stayed there or moved?

He's infalted himself before midnight. He was looking pretty dead and limp though.

He is in the mid-top of the tank, perched on some LR. He hasn't moved since he sat himself there. He was acclimated to the tank, but not the lighting. Would that be a reason for shrivel up a day later though? It seemed liked he reacted to the emerald entree, but that sounds stupid.

Thanks for your help guys, especially ziggy, I'll keep you updated if anything else happens

I bought what I thought was a haitian anemone also. Turns out it is the florida condi.Mine is on the bottom of my tank. He hasnt moved since I put him in the tank 1 month ago. There is very little flo there. Hes now turning a brown color but other than that seems fine. Closes every night and comes out when the lights come on. Hope he is ok

Ladybus301 said:
Hes now turning a brown color
That is a good sign. It means the zooxanthellae is coming back into the anemone. Doing the opposite, turning white/clear, would mean the zoox is being expelled and the coral was bleaching. That is generally not good, and caused by stress. Good luck :wink:

Back
Top Bottom