Pink tipped bta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw some really neat bta's at the LFS today. The were pretty small 2-3" diameter, but the were white at the base, mint/slightly transparent green on the tentacles and really hot pink (I mean REALLY HOT PINK) on the bubble tips. They were so cool looking, and very healthy as were all the anemones at this place (some bta's werent even all stressed and bunched up, thier tentacles were partially extended), but I had to hold my self back. Any body seen this color morph of a bta? Or hear of problems or hardiness?
I cant find a pic on the net that does these things justice, but if I do I will post.

when you add him id turn off the power heads or put the sponges on till it find a home and stays !!

I would also do some type of photoacclimation. Chances are you have more intense light then the LFS. Keep in mind that BTA are actually a moderate light anenome and tend to shy away from high light. If you have too much light it may just find a cave in your LR and hang out in there. How old is your tank? Other tankmates?

Tank is made from LS and LR and water that have been in another of my tanks for a year. As of now in this tank there is only one true perc, 12 snails and 3 scarlet hermits (need more janitors, I know). For the photo acclimation, should I just follow the coral acclimation of this website? The store looked like they had them under 400 watt MH, but who knows how old those bulbs are.

scuba_steve : could I just position the powerheads so the intakes are near/almost touching the glass? Oh and you are talking about powerheads like via aqua 480 and maxi jet 1200, right? What about putting some plastic window screening (the kind used for light acclimation) around the intakes and zip tying them on really good?

Thanks guys, Brian

the screen would work ! once it finds a happy place it should stay put :) i the lfs has them under mh i wouldnt worry about the light issue my self :)

I've seen what you have described before and it sounds like it could possibly be semi-bleached.

You might already know this but I'm going to post it anyways. Before you buy, check to see if the foot has any tears in it. If the BTA is attached to the rock, ask if you can have the rock also, if they try to peal the the BTA off of the rock they might damage the foot. Touch the BTA's tentacles to see if they are sticky. Being sticky is good because the BTA is still able to cpature prey and/or be fed. and if it is a little beached you can still feed it until it regains its zooanthella back. The mouth should be closed snuggly.

show us pics if you buy :D

what do you feed the BTA? I feed it a small fresh water ghost shrimp once a week. Too bad, my crown does not like to host on the BTA.

Well I bought one. And its awsome! Luckily there was one attached to a small rock so I just got the rock and anemone.
Klam: I dont think its bleached. It basically looks like a green BTA (more like a blue-ish green)With hot pink tips. I will post a pic later tonight. It already found nice a spot too, and its not all buched up, it seems to be doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom