Pinnatus Batfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am not getting one!

But I saw one today at my LFS and they are gorgous! but, as I understand they are very hard to keep.

Anyone have any specific information about these beauties? Ever tried to keep one? etc.

again, I have no intention on ever purchasing one...ever.

I do not have any experience with these but did some research. I found they are very difficult to get to eat and they require a very large tank with lots of swimming space (300 + gal.) they are not reef safe. Sounds like they have the same reputation as the Moorish Idol does in captivity. I have seen a huge one at a LFS and they are impressive. They can get to be about 18 inches...pretty big.

wow. the one at my LFS was only about 4 inches tall. beautiful still.

Someone is going to take it home and stick it in a 29 gallon. poor guy.

A batfish in a 29 gal, boy he is not going to be happy. I do not know if it is good or not, but it most likely will not live that long anyways. Too bad.

They loose the orange outline and the cool shape if your able to keep it alive and have it grow to adulthood.
In 25yrs, I've tried them on two occasions with once being a pair direct from the wholesalers and they always starved to death. Good luck if you try them, maybe try feeding them cyclopeeze.

Back
Top Bottom