Pinpoint PH Monitor - one day famous, now infamous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMadNucleus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm so ^&* with my PH monitor - I bought a pinpoint about 2 years ago. I know they recommend replacing the probe in 18 months but I have calibrated this thing about 10 times - always calibrates correctly. The mfg says only replace the probe when you can not calibrate the unit.

The problem lies in the fact that it reads 9.0 (yikes!) in my SW FO tank - seachem PH test reads 8.2 and dKH are about 4 meq/l - so now what - do I buy a probe for 50 bucks or is there something wrong with the unit. Who knows.

Bottom line - loved this thing when I got it, now it's another complication.

Tom

I read this on Dr. Foster and Smith's web site. It also suggested replacing the probe every 18 months.

"To ensure proper pH readings, clean sensing glass of probe every few weeks using ONLY a wet toothbrush and calibrate monthly. "

I'd take the chance that the unit just needs a new probe.

My probe is 3 years old and still going strong! When the probes go they really go whacky and jump all over the place!$50 for a probe is a littel high. $40 is more like it!

Hey Darin - Yeah - I've notice you've got one of the best prices on the probe - and yep - I'm with you - I think once they go you just can't calibrate them and mine you can definately calibrate and it will hold the 10.0 or 7.0 reading for as long as I've held in the test solution (few minutes for sure). If there is any variation it is only 10.0 to 10.1 to 9.99 and back.

But I'm really confused cuz the tank reads 8.2 using seachem test (I think this is one of the beter hi-ph test kits - very easy to read) and the Monitor says 9.0. Go fiigure. Fish look great, no signs of stress, very strong activity and appetites.

I have no clue what to do with the thing next and I don't want to spend the money on the probe just to find out it's the meter and the meter is only covered for 1 year.

Tom

take your water to a LFS and have them confirm the Ph. With you're tests, one of the two is "off" but you don't know which to believe So a third party reading will let you know which one is off.

It's my bet your probe is off. even though it's calibrating, it may be old enough that it's misreading the farther it gets away from the calibration point. IMO, I'd be happy getting two years out of something the manufacturer suggests replacing every year and a half.

Thanks everyone.

BillyZ - yep sounds reasonable - but pretty sure the PH is 8.2 (besides, don't trust my LFS too much - figured that when they pulled out a Wardley's test kit) :) and that the monitor is not working - just not sure if it's the probe or the monitor. That's a reasonably expensive guess. I.e. replace the probe for $40, if it was the monitor, then buy a monitor with the probe for 89, then in just 2 years spent $220 on ph monitor (two units w/probe for 89 each and one superfolous probe for $40) - Yikes!

As for the mfg - I believe they actually only suggest that you will get at least 18 months but that it should be replaced when it can no longer be calibrated. Even then you can never be sure - could be that the probe is fine and the monitor is screwed up. As I mentioned - just another complication.

Anyway - guess I'll try replacing the probe - but I am not going to be a happy camper if it turns out to be the monitor :roll:

Tom

well if you do get the probe and it turns out the be the moniter you still have a new probe that can be used if that one fales.

Hey Tom,
I've had the AM PinPoint PH & ORP monitor for 8 years and with the PH probe, I've only needed to change it once. The one I have now is going strong for about 4 years now. I guess that means I also got 4 years out of the first probe. My symptoms were that the probe would read high and erratic.

If it cannot hold a steady number that is one sign it is bad. The other is extremely high or low readings.

Hey Tom,

The good news is that "Pinpoint pH Monitor™ by American Marine Inc. is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 2 years from date of sale. " That's from their web site.

If i am not mistaken the 2 year warranty is new. hey may not warranty older models? Its worth a try though.

Can't you just test something else at a different pH, for example DI water should read right at 7.0, which would be a fairly good deviation from the 10 you test at now.

well that is what he is saying he is trying to test the solution that he know what the ph is and it is getting way to high.

Kevin - good question - Unfortunately I do not - but maybe I can ask a LFS in the City - I know one or two there that are pretty good - thx for the suggestion.

Pecan2Phat: Thanks for the info. Yeah - that's what has me abit confused - does not seem like a probe seems like something else is amiss.

Anyway thanks again you guys.

Back
Top Bottom