Pipe Clamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up my sump a few weeks back, and I used reg. pvc. Well about a week ago, I changed out most of the plumbing for the clear plastic tubing. The guy at Lowes said the metal clamps would not rust. Well guess what....they do! I just looked under there, and there is rust drops dripping in the sump. What kind of clamps do I need to get? What should I do about the rust in the tank?

JEESH!!!!! If it's not one thing it's another! :evil:

I have to disagree KMyers, the clamps were most likely stainless steel as it was. I think the only metal safe for use in SW is titanium, and I don't think you will find many titanium clamps, for cheap anyway. I have no idea what you would use.

Ok, the clamps were stainless steel. I also changed to the flexible clear hose because I could move them around, and the way my overflow was situated, the clear hose to stress off of the bulkhead. You would have to see it... :wink:

Anyway I used plastic ties, and wrapped them opposite of each other. The flex hose was a booger to get on and it was already so tight, this was suggested to me. It is working great as I type.

Thanks. :wink:

I have prob. 10 hose clamps on my tank and sump and they are stainless and they do not rust (good) stainless will not rust. Or at least i have never seen it rust. Yeah good luck on titanium :roll:

I have a marine grade stainless steel on my return pump fitting. No signs of rust at all.

Most online retailers and LFS's sell the plastic hose clamps that you tighten with a pair of channelocks. I have all plastic tubing and this is what I use and have not had a leaking connection.

Why would you change from PVC to hose???
Um...many do use flex hose. Some systems are dynamic, especially custom setup. Sometime equipment is added and flex hose is very helpful.

I use marine grade stainless clamps as well without any issues.

Certain grades of stainless can rust. But it sounds more like you may have had clamps with stainless bands and plain steel screws. The marine grade parts suggested above are completely stainless, and will be highly rust resistant.

I found this link to a stainless faq: http://www.marfas.com/faq.shtml

Keep an eye on your plastic ties, they wont hold as tightly as a clamp would. If your fittings have ~three barbs you should be alright though.

Hey good info all. Come to think of it, it was rusting at the screws!!

:roll: Dope, what an idiot I am......Oh well. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom