Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

pistol shrimp

We bought a pistol shrimp to go along with our metallic goby and he is wreaking havoc! We think he kills our snails and crabs ...just watched him dig up 2 of our nassarius snails....is always active and is burrying our live rock and corals constantly. He is about 2 inches at least. Any suggestions? I think its the only thing we regret getting in our 25 gal tank

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

you can get a mantis shrimp trap to catch him and remove him. shrimpgobies don't NEED a shrimp buddy.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

im pretty sure he either killed 2 of my snails or harassed them, as they died near the burrows, the shells are still there even

i think he might of killed my ywm goby too but right now hes paired with a diff ywm

however i hear his **** shooting clicking all day everyday, and its always near my snails
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereef View Post
We bought a pistol shrimp to go along with our metallic goby and he is wreaking havoc! We think he kills our snails and crabs ...just watched him dig up 2 of our nassarius snails....is always active and is burrying our live rock and corals constantly. He is about 2 inches at least. Any suggestions? I think its the only thing we regret getting in our 25 gal tank
Ive never had any issues with my pistol shrimp i have seen him pull snails and crabs into hole but i think its just using the shells to build its burrow ive never seen it kill or harm anything maybe throw some empty shells and small pebbles of lr near its burrow so he can have some shells to move around then hell leave the others alone
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you made sure its getting food when you feed? If its fed well it doesn't really have to hunt. I have three pistols in my tank and I know for sure two are very timid and the third always clicks and moves around but I never have observed attack or harass anything.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Agreed give it some fodder to work with. Empty shells or rubble will keep the happy. I've put well over 40 shells in the tank for mine and I have to get more! He uses every single one I put in there and if I don't give it more it will start using anything it can find, including corals and inverts! Lol
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO you need to you give your pistol shrimp plenty of empty shells etc to cover up around its den and when feeding time, turn off all the power heads/pumps and let some food settle and make sure it's getting food. You could also try putting little pieces of shrimp in front of its den these all work.

I've had no issues with my pistol shrimp named Colt.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
IMO you need to you give your pistol shrimp plenty of empty shells etc to cover up around its den and when feeding time, turn off all the power heads/pumps and let some food settle and make sure it's getting food. You could also try putting little pieces of shrimp in front of its den these all work.

I've had no issues with my pistol shrimp named Colt.
Lol i like that name
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i added 6 big empty shells and he took 2 of them within the first day
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

Lol i like that name
Haha thanks

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com