Pistol Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a banded prawn goby and a pistol shrimp today and i heard the pistol shrimp are great sand stirrers but i cannot believe how much he has done in so little time. Within minutes i saw what looked like an explosion in the back of my 29G reef and dusty material went everywhere. After returning 3 hours later after dinner he has completely turned my tank upside down with gravel everywhere. My tank is very cloudy right now and all my corals have detritous stuff all over them. I have never used a skimmer on this tank but i wonder if i should add one just because of the amount of gravel he is turning up and throwing stuff around, and if the skimmer would pull all this extra cloudiness out or if my regular filter will take care of this and if it will go away and calm down after a few days of his cleaning. I believe he is a japanese pistol. He's making my tank look really bad right now but i hope this will clear up as a result of his massive cleaning spree. He seems to be running around like he's on an emergency crew through caves and the back in between rocks and now some of my mushrooms that sit on the bottom are now deep in crevices in the gravel. Should i worry about him turning the gravel and knocking down my live rock that i have built up?

Back
Top Bottom