Pistol Shrimp is sinking my rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyFighter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_7284.jpgImage1487302486.458471.jpg

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about pistol shrimp. I love watching my goby and pistol shrimp burrowing under their rock together. The only problem is that the rock they live under is beginning to sink lower and lower into the sand, and all the other rocks on top of their rock have began to shift as a result. The more they dig, the lower the rock gets. I'm not sure if the images really show what I'm talking about. One is from a long time ago, and I just took the other one.

I figure that once the rock hits the glass at the bottom of the tank, it will stop, but I'm worried about the rocks on top toppling over while I'm at work or something before that happens. Has anyone ever had that problem? should I be worried, or am I just paranoid?

Yes you should be worried, that's why it's best to put your rock in before you add sand. Best option is to force the rock as far down to the glass as you can and rede cure your rock work. You might also consider the underwater putty to secure them

I would cut some elbow PVC pipe in half and place it up against the glass, that way they will have a place to live where you can see them. At the same time i would do what BigRedsReef 10 and pull out half of the sand and try and bury the rock all the way down to the glass.

yes it's always a good idea to add the rock than the sand .now I also use a white light defuser to rest rock on so there not directly on glass , this is the defuser on the bottom of the tank . this simple piece of plastic could have saved me from disaster

attachment.php

I have had a rock go through the bottom of my tank one big mess , my engineer goby under mined under all the rocks, best you caught it before it happens to you , the tank that busted was 37g but it seemed like a 1000g of water on the floor , I was able to save a good amount of the livestock and coral , trust me you don't want to encounter the mess I did ,

Back
Top Bottom