Pistol Shrimp Molting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Crabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pistol just molted last night. I noticed he is missing his left claw and left antenea.....normal result of molting or did he have a fight with an emerald crab?

They will grow back if he has lost them.

However, don't conclude that he is missing the claw just because it looks like the molt is missing the claw. Unless you saw the molt, it is just as likely that the claw has become separated from the molt and disappeared somewhere.

If you can actually see his claw caught in the discarded molt, that's a good sign that he was lucky to survive the molting process. This might point to some sort of weakness in the water chemistry. (Iodine? maybe?)

I just found his claw. It was in his old home seperate from the molt which was on the other side of the tank where he now resides. What kind of test is there to make sure water chemistry is ok for proper molting? I am throwing on the usual "I am a newbie" disclaimer in case its is a dumb question. :wink:

TIA

Back
Top Bottom