pistol shrimp (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoosier Daddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is one of two pistol shrimp in my tank. Had me scared at first after adding some rock. They sure do a lot of digging in the sandbed. just wanted to share

Attachments

• pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 163
Nice pic (y) I have never seen an all black pistol. Do you have a goby friend for it?

No, I have heard how they have the relationship together though. Is it all types of Gobies or just one particular type? Normally he is semi clear/grey but seems to change colors just like the other one. He was a hitch hiker on some Atlantic Worm rock from the LFS

if a pistol shrimp strat it's digging and rocks are sbove it will the rocks fall in?

Yes it will fall!!!

I have heard that some people like to set PVC in the tank then stack their LR on that and then fill with sand. This keeps your LR out of the sand bed as well as provides stability if you have a digger!

Oh yeah Cool Shrimp by the way!!!

I'm thinking I may have obtained one with the piece of LR I recently purchased ... I hear a double click sound every now and then coming from my tank after lights out! Just haven't been able to find anything!

Jermz thats a mantis
Could be a mantis or it could be a pistol. Need a visual ID to be certain.

My pistol and goby much have a vast network of tunnels under my LR. I see them on one side of the tank one minute, and the other side the next. I have never had a problem with rock falling.

mantis are ussually like Auto matic weapon clicks..... I've got a few pistols that hitchhiked in on my rocks and they slick in twos and threes all the time. They get pretty loud too.

Well mantis are normally two clicks, no?
The "how many times does it click" method is, by no means, a relaiable way to identify a mantis or a pistol shrimp. I have a pistol shrimp in my tank and somethimes I hear one pop, other times I hear two, other times I hear several. Like I said, visual ID is the only way to know for sure.

Have you found that any cleanup crew types bother either the pistol shrimp or gobie? I want the combo for my 6 gal, but I wish to have some additional cleanup crew and want to make sure they are all happy together... cause there is no where to go if they don't! 8O

Back
Top Bottom