Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pistol shrimps VS. Mantis shrimps. Who will win???

I am building up my new 132g as you can see from my gallery. It has been cycling for 3 days now. Ammonia is spiking now so nothing special just wait, wait, and more wait…

However, I can already hear click, click things going on in my tank for the past 3 days. Not sure if I got a mantis shrimp in there or not but definitely got at least one pistol shrimp because the other day when I added liverocks one pistol ran out from 1 of the rocks and I caught it and put it back into the tank as I heard they are good for stirring up sand and they are good scarvenger as well.

So if I have got a mantis shrimp and pistol shrimp in the tank if they happen to meet each other (it is a looooong tank) and fight who will win? I was hoping the pistol shrimp will win because I heard mantis pray on crustacan (did I spell that right?). I want to know this because I am thinking of putting my cleaner shrimp into the main tank later on (he is currently in my nano). I was worry if the mantis will win over the pistol then I can’t put the cleaner in because it will surely get killed by the mantis. But if the pistol will win there is another question: will it co-exist with the cleaner?

Whether I have mantis or pistol in there it is too late to take them out now. I just want to know if I can add my cleaner into the tank or not. This will mainly a tangs fish tank so I thought the cleaner can at least do some cleaning job for the tangs.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mantis hands down I am sure.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #3

There is a chance that the clicking could be the pistol as they do click. However, IME it is very difficult to differntiate the two by sound alone.

I would say just take things slow. You are along ways from when your cycle can be complete and you can safetly add any livestock anyway.

Where did you get your LR from, and how much? If you have enough 1.5lbs-2 per gal. you should be able to cycle with just the LR. Either way, if you have a mantis it will most likely surface itself eventually either being curious or looking for food. Watch at night and see what you can spot.

Just let your tank go through the normal cycling and during this time you can figure out what, if any, bad hitchhikers need to be removed.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can pistol and mantis and cleaner shrimp co-exist in a tank?

What about pistol and cleaner combination?

What about pistol and mantis combination?

Hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekf
Can pistol and mantis and cleaner shrimp co-exist in a tank?
The mantis would probably kill them all and also some fish.
Quote:
What about pistol and cleaner combination?
Sure, you could even add a shrimp goby, for the pistol.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh wouldn't the pistol kill the cleaner? As it has got a big claw
Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Oh wouldn't the pistol kill the cleaner? As it has got a big claw
No, pistols are nearly blind and use the goby for an early warning system. The pistol will live in the substrate and the cleaner will hang out amongst the rocks.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

But my cleaner (currently in the nano) hides in the rocks when all the light are off. So I was worry if that's the case it will get killed by the pistol at night. The cleaner cost US$110.00 here in Australia, that's right I paid that much for it!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
But my cleaner (currently in the nano) hides in the rocks when all the light are off. So I was worry if that's the case it will get killed by the pistol at night. The cleaner cost US$110.00 here in Australia, that's right I paid that much for it!!!
WOW!!! That's a lot of money. They should be ok together. One lives in the bottom and one above.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The pistol would smoke the mantis shrimp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheus_bellulus

Be sure to read about the snapping effect. Mantis are tough, hands down, but they cannot do that!

Either one MAY make short work of crabs and snails. Both will tend to keep carcasses around their dwelling, like a dragon's lair.

Tags
pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com