Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Placement of corals

I need some help deciding where to place the corals in my tank. Right now I have a few frags and I need to figure out where to put them. They are in my tank and acclimating well. They are opening a lot and look very healthy. The water parameters are staying good but I basically just put them in and need to now decide where to put them and how to do it exactly.

First let me ask how to get rid of the plugs exactly. I was told to scrape the frags off the base and stick them to a small rock using super glue. Is there any advice on that? Is there a special kind of super glue I need to use? How about a rock, is there a special type of rock? I was told that as an alternative to super glue I could tie them to the rock and in about a week I could remove the string as they will have attached to the rock. Is there any advice on how to do this or any special care I need to take while doing this?

Next I need to figure out where to place this coral. I need to know what ones to keep away from others, what ones need more light and more flow, etc. Here are the types of coral I have so far. I have two different frags of button polyps, 2 small zoa frags of different types, a ricordia mushroom, star polyps, a hammer and a pom pom xenia.

I also have a question about actinic lighting. I have a T8 fixture that I was given that I don't use as I also have a metal halide fixture. Can I put actinic bulbs in this T8 fixture it or is there a different fixture I need? Is there anything else I should take into consideration as far as lighting goes?

Thank you for all your help.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I always just stick the frag on the rocks with the plug as they will color up like the rock over time
sometimes the nipple on the bottom helps mounting in the rock work

if you decide to remove the plug use a straight edge razor at the base of the coral to remove use gloves and glasses when doing this , as for rock use live rock rubble , I like loc tite gel myself

button polyps spread fast always try to find a place where they can't invaid other corals

I always put mine up high and against back wall so they grow up rather than out, as for zoa's I always mount these low to mid tank some like more light and flow than others
mushrooms place in low flow areas basically around the base of rock

hammer likes low to med flow and mid tank placement is best

pom pom low to mid level med to low flow

those fixtures your going to need to replace bulbs every 3/6 months as needed and that gets expensive fast

I would invest in a good dimmable led light especially if you plan on adding any sps
over time

Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Thank you. Do I need to keep any of my corals away from others? What about start polyps?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Polyps and zoa's can be close! What coral do you have?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Star polyps can take over a tank. I'd isolate them on a rock away from other rocks.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glue the star polyps to the back of the tank glass and let them grow a field of green! looks cool
Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you decide to keep the metal halide fixture (I'm with 54seaweed on the LED recommendation), you don't need supplemental actinic. Do you know the wattage of your metal halide fixture and the color temp of the lamps?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

I don't know about the metal halide right off the top of my head. The reason I'm asking about the actinic is because I want to hook something up to help my corals glow from time to time.

The corals I have are listed in my first message. I just need to move some around for visual appeal and needed some advice of where to place them. Thank you for the help.

Thank you
Old 06-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingInUtah View Post
I don't know about the metal halide right off the top of my head. The reason I'm asking about the actinic is because I want to hook something up to help my corals glow from time to time.

The corals I have are listed in my first message. I just need to move some around for visual appeal and needed some advice of where to place them. Thank you for the help.

Thank you

Really need to know how powerful your lights are for that
Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #10

I see. Thank you. I think I have a 175 watt bulb but I have no idea what you mean by color temp. If I'm thinking about it correctly it is 4000K. Please explain if this doesn't sound right.

Thank you.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com