Placement of new powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I"m going to get 2 power heads, either 2 maxii-jet 1200s powersweep 228's. Both move about 270gph. My spray bar for my sump return is up in the top right side of the tank with the skimmer box on the back wall on the left side of the tank. Should I go with the powersweep so they rotate water and where should I place them in the tank?

The only problem with those moving PH's is that, over time, coralline algae incrusts on them and the gears causing them to malfunction and no longer move. I think you would be better off buying regular maxijets. It will save you a bit of money as well.

As far as placement, you could put them in the left and right rear of the tank and point their output toward the center glass at the front so that their current converges with one another.

i have my power heads like this is that bad?

No not at all. I wouldn't have mentioned it if it were bad...

;)

I had mine setup this way until I decided to add another.

onkly problem is when i fed some goes into the overflow so anoyign and even when i turn the PH off it still goes oh well

You posted your question and then posted the pic... I thought you were asking me if the advice I had give to jamal was good.

8O

anyway, yeah the way you have it will work. All you are wanting to do is get random turbulence in the aquarium. Anytime you point to PH toward each other, this will happen.

Biggen said:
The only problem with those moving PH's is that, over time, coralline algae incrusts on them and the gears causing them to malfunction and no longer move. I think you would be better off buying regular maxijets. It will save you a bit of money as well.

As far as placement, you could put them in the left and right rear of the tank and point their output toward the center glass at the front so that their current converges with one another.

Actually the powersweeps were on sale, same price at the maxi-jet 1200's. Will the sweeping be more beneficial, I don't mind cleaning them if it's better for the tank? Should I mount the PH's near the top of the tank or half way down the side?

Actually the powersweeps were on sale, same price at the maxi-jet 1200's. Will the sweeping be more beneficial, I don't mind cleaning them if it's better for the tank? Should I mount the PH's near the top of the tank or half way down the side?

Sounds like you got a deal then. :)

The sweep should be beneficial as it provides alternating and random currents throughout the aqarium.

I have two of mine mounted about 4 inches below the water line and the other about 8 inches below the water line. Getting current down in the aquarium always helps.

Back
Top Bottom