Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2004, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Placement of powerheads

I'm shortly going to be adding some more LR and some soft corals/polyps/'shrooms.

I've got 2 600lph powerheads (as well as the output from my filter which is the clear tube at the top right of the pic).

Could you suggest where I can put my 2 powerheads, if they need moving, to provide suitable flow around my corals? Also bearing in mind where my filter intake is (bottom right of the tank fairly near the new rock).

LR = the brown line and the corals = red :P

Old 10-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The best starting place is usually in the upper back corners so the water flow crosses in an X formation somewhere in the middle of the tank. If that doesn't give enough random current you can take it from there.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK - and do you think my filter intake is ok where it is, even though it's going to be next to my new rockwork and near the bottom right corner of the tank?
Old 10-17-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont know if you can see from the pic, but my 2 powerheads are near the middle of the tank, the one at the left facing straight across the tank, and the one at the right facing across but angled up a bit to create some surface agitation.

If I moved them like you suggested, it'd mean buying another powerhead to disrupt the surface, which I don't really want to do.

Do you think it'd make a big difference moving them like you suggested?
Old 10-17-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
steve-s

If you don't mind the look of the powerheads on the sides like that then they're just fine. Most people place them on the back face of the tank moreso for appearance than anything. I would suggest moving the powerheads upwards slightly closer to the surface. Once more rock is added you will need a bit higher clearance and the extra surface movement would be a plus considering the lid.

The fluval intake should be fine as is providing there is a few inches of clearance between it, any newly added rock and from the substrate..

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries - does more surface movement = more evaporation?
Old 10-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
steve-s

To a degree yes but tank health is much more important

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe...

Luckily I dont have to top off at the moment, so if I can avoid it in the future I'll try :P

Tags
powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com