Placing coral tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been having a very hard time keeping frags to stay where I want them. Especially the disks. Are there any easier ways to get them to stay? Also, is purple epoxy able to be used underwater? Is there anything that can be used underwater?

I'm not sure the name of it but with a little Google searching you should be able to find it but there is a epoxy/glue for rock work and coral frags

I like to glue my round frags to a small piece of rock rubble. makes it easy to move around and it doesnt fall over as easily. :)

I found some of that purple putty and it says it's done within 30 secs. It's kinda expensive though. Does anyone have experience with the hardware store stuff that's 5x less costly?

The putty is brilliant. I've always used it, takes a couple of hours to go off under the water, but when it has you can't remove it without wedging a screwdriver underneath and levering it off.

So the morale of the story is make sure your happy with where the coral is before you set it down.

Alright. Is this the more pricey of the putties? I know exactly where I want it and it likes where it is.

Over here in the UK it's £4 per pack, about $6 so I dunno, this is the stuff.

img_1742295_0_b870bfc84860f12f4eaf48f3d89d8488.jpg

I use the loctite brand 5 minute epoxy putty, to does make your hands smell bad. Lowes is where I get mine in the adhesive aisle. I don't remember how much it cost because I have stock piled it. Things like zoas grow right over it so it doesn't show. It has a warning on the back about not safe for aquariums but that is what someone I get frags from uses. It is much cheaper than the stuff sold for aquarium use and does the same job. Just keep an eye on your skimmer I haven't had problems but he told me to watch it.

I looked for it online and can't find The one you showed me at all. Not Even on their website. Starting to bother me now lol. I found a marine one though.

I use epoxy putty that I got from my lfs. it's green and works well. I don't have trouble with the stone disks...just the crappy plastic ones. I haven't fastened it down since the zoas I have on it haven't opened up in weeks.

I will buy it and give a review then. I only like the plugs, the others annoy me. Disks don't fit right in my tank. Never had plastic ones though. Guess im just very picky.

I hate plugs, they are probably fine for egg crate and sand beds but as I have neither they don't work for me.

The frags I buy either come on discs or live rock rubble, if they are on plugs I won't buy them, it's to much like hard work.

I bought a seriatopora on a plug by mistake and ended up snapping it off and sticking the base/trunk into some putty, so that's not on either.

Back
Top Bottom