Placing mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple mushrooms that I believe to be glued to some frag plugs. Can/should I use a razor blade to cut them away from the plug and glue them to my rock? Does glueing frags keep them from spreading as quickly? Dont mushrooms move and leave a trail of "baby" ones?

Cut from plug, pat dry and use some crazy glue gel to attach to a rock. You can also get some bridal veil and glue that to a rock with the mushroom under it and held against the rock till it is attached.

Position-wise, mushrooms can spread by (slowly) moving. They can also move by detaching and allowing water flow to transport them to a different area of the tank before they take hold again.

Numerically-wise, mushrooms can spread by asexual reproduction either by self-dividing (I guess the term there is fission), or from any cellular fragments that the mushroom leaves behind or which may result from damage. I've even seen mushrooms develop from ejected mesenterial filaments (which the water flow carried off to a different sector of the tank.

wow, so someone could cut one in four pieces and have four mushrooms? Would they return to full size or be smaller than the original?

Full size. That is how we frag my gf mushrooms. we just cut the top of it off and place it somewhere else. You will notice in about a week that you will have two mushrooms about the same size.

I have never had any luck gluing a mushroom they get po'ed and let go only to find another spot to attach themselves.

If you frag mushrooms make sure you get a little piece of the mouth on each piece.

Do not glue them. Instead get a tub like idk something small and fill it with live rock rubble or cc put the drags of mushroom in it then cover the entire thing with netting. Once they attach to the rock take the cc or rock and glue that to the spot where you want never glue the mushroom it self. This can lead to harm and even kill the frag

Back
Top Bottom