Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a HOB. Going on 3 years and never had a problem. There is always the chance, its very small, but there is a chance.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Alrighty... getting more ideas going on inside.... stand back.

I've been thinking more and more about putting a 20 long underneath. I've said time and time again that I don't trust HOB overflows, but the more I read, the more I see that there's a general trust with them? I could drill the tank I suppose, but would it be cheaper to go HOB or to get a glass holes overflow kit? The protein skimmer would definitely look better under the tank than on the back of the tank. I've pretty much got everything planned out in my head, just gotta pull the trigger and start buying supplies. The good thing is that I don't plan on setting it up until I am 100% sure I've got what I need, so I can start stocking up on supplies now.
Cool, I plan on using HOB overflows for my 125g reef. From what I have seen on this forum, they seem to be pretty reliable, and I think in the long run it is cheaper than getting a tank drilled.

By the way, congrats on starting a saltwater tank, I can't wait to see the progress.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd drill, or pay someone to do it for you.

HN1 and I got a used setup a while back that came with a CPR style HOB overflow. I hated it. HATED it. A few failed Aqualifter pumps and a powerhead failure nearly had the DT flooding onto the carpet no less than 5 times. Fortunately we were home watching it each time. The experience has me sworn off of HOB overflows for the duration of my time in this hobby. LOL
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I don't necessarily have an issue with drilling the tank. I've thought about it, and the benefits of a sump would be worth it... I think. Any experience from anyone with the glass holes kits? Are they worth it?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

This is the kit I had in mind... 700 gph Overflow complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

EDIT... Paired with this? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ater-pump.html

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I totally agree with SM on the HOBs - totally hate them, will never use again. That said, I understand they have improved significantly since my own experience with them, but I still would never use one.

As for the glass holes, their kits are excellent IMO and experience. I've used a number of them on different tanks. Definitely a great way to go.

700 gallons per hour would give you about an 18X turn over rate on your 40b which isn't bad, personally I would go a little bigger. What return pump are you looking at? A QuietOne 3000 which I would consider maybe a litte undersized for this tank pumps about 780gph.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I must have edited as you were typing. I was thinking of a 500gph mag drive. That way, I'm not pushing more water than the overflow can handle. Keep in mind I'm also planning on two 750gph powerheads as well. Does that change things?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a single LifeReef HOB overflow & it hasn't let me down yet. When the return pump shuts off, both ends of the siphon tube remain submerged, maintaining the siphon. I use a Mag 9.5 pump & no bubbles accumulate in the siphon tube. I can't say enough about it.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Pricing it out, HOB is going to be as much, if not more, than the drilled kit. I've got tons of 2" pvc and fittings laying around, so I'm thinking it's a better deal all around. And I have two 40 breeders in case I screw one up.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's a good idea to have your return pump put out more than the overflow capacity and just throttle it back with a ball valve. I have a 1200gph overflow and a 1532gph return pump. you also have to account for any head loss as well when figuring out the pump to get.

I've been using a CPR continuous overflow for the last 6 months and haven't had one glitch or screw up yet. I hated the hang on overflow woth the J tubes, always lost siphon on my tank....

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com