Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I hadn't thought of that. I've got tons of 1/2" tubing and ball valves... Thanks. I'll up it to the next one up.

On the topic of skimmers, what would be a good, economical, option for a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump (probably 50g total?)

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's tons of good skimmers, at good prices. My only advice is to size it up from your anticipated volume; don't buy one rated for your setup size. I like Vertex & Super Reef Octopus, but there are better bargains out there for sure.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
It's a good idea to have your return pump put out more than the overflow capacity and just throttle it back with a ball valve. I have a 1200gph overflow and a 1532gph return pump. you also have to account for any head loss as well when figuring out the pump to get.

I've been using a CPR continuous overflow for the last 6 months and haven't had one glitch or screw up yet. I hated the hang on overflow woth the J tubes, always lost siphon on my tank....
If I may ask, why is this a good idea? Throttling back a return pump puts stress on the bearings of the pump IME and causes the pump to burn out faster than it should. By throttling it back, you're creating pressure against the pump in a way it is not designed to take. Return pumps are not designed to work against pressure like a sprinkler pump. Do agree with you on the head loss factor, but I always go with a bigger overflow than the pump calls for - it won't overflow any faster than the pump returns, so bigger is irrelevant. Now if you plan on directing some of that flow in another direction, such as through filters, chiller, etc. that is a whole different topic. I've also seen tanks plumbed so that the excess amount is just dumped back into the sump, but again I really fail to see the point of that.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I must have edited as you were typing. I was thinking of a 500gph mag drive. That way, I'm not pushing more water than the overflow can handle. Keep in mind I'm also planning on two 750gph powerheads as well. Does that change things?
Just speaking from my own experience, I would suspect that in the long run you will determine that that is actually too little flow. Prior to getting my Vortexs, I was running a 4000 High Head on my 65gal (little over 1000 gph). In addition to that I had three K2s (about 1800 gph) and two K1s (another 800 gph) picking up dead spots, and that was still not enough.

Now your 40 is a little smaller, but not a whole lot and some of it will have to do with your rock arrangement and how open it is vs. how many dead spots you have.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Hmmm. That just seems like so much flow. Perhaps that's the fw in me. Would two 1050's be better than two 750's? Or... three 750's?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Hmmm. That just seems like so much flow. Perhaps that's the fw in me. Would two 1050's be better than two 750's? Or... three 750's?
LOL probably so. I would avoid the 1050s just because with a 3' tank the directional flow will probably be too much. I'd start with the three 750s and adjust from there as you see the need based on dead spots or algae growth.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #27
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ok, that works. So, I'm thinking that I'm going to work on the sump first. I have ideas as to how I want it, and I'll do some more research on how i want to set it up before I start to get everyones criticism. I'm thinking what I'm going to do is set up the return with a wye and run lock line to help point the flow where I want it. Since I'm going to do FOWLR for the first couple months (at least, that's the plan), I'll hang off on a skimmer, but make sure I keep a place avialable for one in the sump. This is coming together more and more in my head. I'm kind of getting excited about it now. As much as I don't want to buy anything yet, this bulk reef supply group buy may give me the deals I want to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Ok, that works. So, I'm thinking that I'm going to work on the sump first. I have ideas as to how I want it, and I'll do some more research on how i want to set it up before I start to get everyones criticism. I'm thinking what I'm going to do is set up the return with a wye and run lock line to help point the flow where I want it. Since I'm going to do FOWLR for the first couple months (at least, that's the plan), I'll hang off on a skimmer, but make sure I keep a place avialable for one in the sump. This is coming together more and more in my head. I'm kind of getting excited about it now. As much as I don't want to buy anything yet, this bulk reef supply group buy may give me the deals I want to go ahead and bite the bullet.
Sounds like a good plan. BRS is an excellent source for good prices on supplies.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually, from the experts on this forum I've come to learn that throttling a pump back isn't in fact a bad thing and that it can prolong the life of the pump! I was also in the other school of thought too but have come to the other side. lol

Mr. X is an absolute plethora of great information so if you need specific help rookie, I'd suggest you drop him a quick pm. He is always more than willing to answer my questions.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think, unless you are severely choking down a pump, the added pressure created would have a similar effect to head pressure. After all, added pressure on a pump is still pressure, whether it's from gravity or a ball valve.

However, I wouldn't reduce flow below 75-50% capacity, nor would I reduce flow on a low quality pump.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com