Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have my return pump throttled back about 20%, nothing too major.

Just easier to match an overflow with a pump if a ball valve is used.

Just my opinion and what I've learned here. It's worked well for me so far.lol

Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also had to put a ball valve in my return line. Going on 3 years with very little to no maintenance on the pump and no problems.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

So, is the general consensus that the 750 will work ok? I definitely don't mind having a little less flow if that means more room for error on the overflow. If the overflow can handle 750gph, 600 or so is going to be a good comfort level for me.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I was doing a 40B reef build i would get two 750's and run a overflow/drilled overflow at about 600gph with a mag 7.5 return pump.

But that's just me. LOL I have considered the 40B before as the footprint is excellent for a coral tank. You are going full reef for this correct? Cause a reef requires lots of flow, in my opinion you cant have too much.

I was running (2) 750's in my 29g plus the filter and skimmer and everything just thrived.

As far as the overflow, I believe if you drill it to a 1" diameter then you will be getting about 600gph. If you go with a hang on overflow box then it's dependent on the specs of that box. BUT you can't overflow the overflow cause it will only handle as much as you put in. LOL Hope that made sense.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #35
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, the overflow is going to be placed so that the tank is full, but as soon as I turn the pump on in the sump, it'll start overflowing. Clearly, that's the only way to do it without risking a flood. I think we decided that three koralia 750's were what I was going to go with. So, 2250gph plus the pump at about 600gph with head loss? So 2800gph estimate? That's 56x tank volume, with an estimated 50g volume including the sump.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ahh i didn't realize you were going with the 3 koralias. Seems like alot of flow doesnt it? I only have about 4000gph going on my 125g! lol Though I do want to add 2 more powerheads for a total of 5500gph... I would say it's a bit high but better safe than sorry. If the flow is managed well it should work in my opinion.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #37
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I can certainly start with two 750's and go from there. Would be cheaper too

Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's how I was thinking it out. If you need more flow you can always add at anytime.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Totally depends on the type of corals you plan on keeping down the road.

Quote:
If soft corals are being kept in the aquarium then flow should be provided which is ten times the net water volume of the aquarium. If hard corals are being kept then water flow should be provided which is in the region of thirty times the net water volume of the aquarium. As said this is a general rule of thumb and is primarily based upon a minimum requirement. It is not uncommon for reef tanks to have water flow in the region of sixty times the net water volume or more.
Little light reading you might want to look over as you're consider flow

Advanced Beginnings: The Basics Of Water Movement In The Reef Aquarium — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part 1. Introduction to Gas Exchange — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part II: The science of corals and water flow — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light Part 4: Basics of Hydrodynamics — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light, Part V — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

You will certainly be ok starting with two, especially since you plan on not adding corals until later. If you plan on keeping any type of the more demanding SPS down the road, you will need more flow. Also keep in mind though that adding powerheads down the road may mean that you have to change your aquascape as well. Just something to consider.

That said keep in mind that the koralias provide a pretty directional flow (and with the older ones, if you put the small plastic piece on the outside, it was also a very small outlet). By leaving the small plastic piece off, you could increase the size of the flow, and I definitely recommend that. I'm not familiar with the newer version, so can't speak to that.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #40
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Thanks again. Looking at some corals in LA and a few other sites, I'm really liking a lot of the soft corals, mainly zoanthids. I'll also be planning a nem down the road, if that makes any difference on flow. I want to do something a bit different with the rock than what I usually see. I'm wanting the middle to be the highest point, sloping down to a single rock height on the ends. I'm also wanting the ends to be thicker front to back than in the middle... I want a kind of 'cove' look to it. It's hard to explain, and I'm not about to draw up a visual. I think I'll do the two at first, then move to 3 if needed. I've also considered a wavemaker... doing some research seems to show the same as most everything. For every person who swears by them, there's another who says they're useless. Thought?

I've also done some googling on sump designs. I've yet to find any recommendations for a cheapish skimmer that's still considered good quality. The cheapest one I've found so far is a reef octopus, but it's still really expensive for a piece of clear pipe with a pump on it. Not a $4,000 skimmer (I saw some of those... wow!), but thoughts on that brand? I was looking at their 6" model. Back on the topic of sumps, would a refugium in the middle with a light on top be a good idea for macro algae? I understand that chaeto and the like suck up the nitrate and phosphate, which corals don't like, but algae does? Also, bubble traps are a good idea at the last chamber before hitting the return pump?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com