Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My only concern for this plan is 2 gallons of RO/DI probably won't last very long for your ATO. On a larger tank its not uncommon to topoff about a gallon per day. Other than that it sounds good.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mag 7 that returns from sump on my bio cube 29. And it's not a ton of flow. I would drill if I could do it again.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #53
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

This tank only evaps about 1 gallon a week as it is right now. That's also in the basement. This will be upstairs, right next to the RO/DI unit, and I'll be walking by it every day. If 2 gallons proves too small, I can certainly fix a larger holding tank somehow. That's probably something I'm just going to have to try out.

There's no question about drilling the tank now, I'm 100% committed.

On a separate note, I ordered some rock tonight. I read some reviews on another forum for reefrock, and being $15 cheaper than any other rock I've found, I went ahead and ordered it. I guess we'll see how that turns out. I have no idea if 50lbs is enough for what I'm wanting to do, but I actually found a tank that looks exactly like what I had pictured in my head, so I'm going to do whatever necessary to make my thoughts work out.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well like you said, you'll just have to try it and see how it works.

If you can do it how you see it in your head with 50lbs and it works, do it. Its another thing that you'll have to try and adjust from there. If you like it with 50, cycle the tank, then decide you want more. You'll have to add cured rock if there's any fish/inverts/corals in the tank. Adding uncured rock will cause parameter fluctuations that could be bad news for your tank.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #55
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I may get 50lbs and it be the perfect amount... or I could get it and it be half as much as I need. I don't know yet. I'll know soon enough I guess. As far as curing goes... base rock (not dead rock, actual base rock that has never been in the ocean) doesn't need cured, right? Just rinsed off and done?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Rinse and in it can go. You can also add base rock at any time, even efter youre cycled.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I actually started considering using another 40b for a sump. I won't know for sure if it'll fit until I empty the tank I'm going to use... it's planted right now. I'm thinking that I can just sit the stand over another 40b. I wouldn't be able to take it out without draining the tank above, but I don't know that it would ever become an issue. That would give me a lot more options, I'm sure. I was only planning 3 chambers. The water would come in the same chamber as the skimmer, then the middle chamber would be lighted, then the bubble trap, then the pump. I was planning on either cutting teeth in the baffle on the refugium side of the bubble trap, or adding a piece of egg crate in front of it to keep the chaeto (assuming I add some) from passing through to the pump. Good idea?.
Egg crate will definitely help. I think the 40B will be great as a sump if you can fit it under the stand. Give you a whole lot more water volume.

Quote:
Man, I see your point on the vortechs, but I don't know if I can justify spending $400 on powerheads when I can get good ones (i said good, not the best necessarily) for $30. Actually, unless they come with diamond inlays and gold scripting, there's no way I can justify it. haha.

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions... I'm trying my best to only ask what I haven't found good answers on. I just want to set this thing up right and not buy anything I'll regret... and I definitely don't want to set it up and realize I've missed something.
I hear you on the vortechs, they are definitely expensive. Keep your eyes open for used ones as you go, because they do come up for sale every once in awhile.

No dumb questions - always best to plan things out ahead of time.

Quote:
So, looking around, I've found another powerhead that is similar to the vortech ( I think) in that it provides random flow rather than a single directional flow. It's the JBJ Oceanstream - JBJ Oceanstream Circulation Pump/Powerhead + Duo Wavemaker Kit. I can get two 500gph powerheads and a wavemaker for $79... then add a koralia or another one of these later if the flow isn't enough. Thoughts on this model? Is this comparable to the vortech in design? The reviews are all positive, so that says something, since most people only go out of their way to leave a review if it's not great.

Also, thoughts on the mag drive 7 vs the quiet one 3000?
Don't know anything about the JBJ, but they sound pretty good. If you do go with them I'll be interested to hear your feedback, as some cheaper alternatives for the school tanks would be great. I haven't upgraded them to the vortechs for the $$ reason .

Personally I'm a fan of the QuietOnes, tossed the only MAG pump I have ever had (way too noisy for me), but thats just personal opinion. If you can, I'd go with the 4000 rather than the 3000 if your overflow will handle the volume. Not really much more expensive (actually the same pump, just a different impeller).

Quote:
Research, what a wonderful tool. After talking with another member in chat, I've decided I'm going to go with the 1600 gph jbj oceanstream powerheads and controller. I'll just aim them so that they don't provide too much flow for the corals. I've pretty much decided on the Quiet One 3000 as well. Now, before I get all excited and jump the gun, I'm going to do first things first. Once I actually get started, I'll start a build thread... I just want to get most of the equipment questions out of the way first. I'm going to start with my sump. Since acrylic seems to be so hard to find cheap locally, I'm going to measure and have glass cut for my baffles in the sump. I'll also be setting up an ATO, on a small scale, out of the autodosers I had for my planted tank, and a cheap float switch. The way I figure it, I'll have about 2 gallons of RO/DI on standby to use as needed. If need be, I can build something a litttle bigger to fit in beside the sump. Is there anything I'm missing or mistaken on? Clearly, thats not the ENTIRE plan, but the initial start up plan.
IME both the glass baffles and the ATO are great choices.

Quote:
This tank only evaps about 1 gallon a week as it is right now. That's also in the basement. This will be upstairs, right next to the RO/DI unit, and I'll be walking by it every day. If 2 gallons proves too small, I can certainly fix a larger holding tank somehow. That's probably something I'm just going to have to try out.

There's no question about drilling the tank now, I'm 100% committed.

On a separate note, I ordered some rock tonight. I read some reviews on another forum for reefrock, and being $15 cheaper than any other rock I've found, I went ahead and ordered it. I guess we'll see how that turns out. I have no idea if 50lbs is enough for what I'm wanting to do, but I actually found a tank that looks exactly like what I had pictured in my head, so I'm going to do whatever necessary to make my thoughts work out.
50 lbs should be plenty in a 40B, but depending on the weight of the rock may be too little or too much. Hard to say.

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I may get 50lbs and it be the perfect amount... or I could get it and it be half as much as I need. I don't know yet. I'll know soon enough I guess. As far as curing goes... base rock (not dead rock, actual base rock that has never been in the ocean) doesn't need cured, right? Just rinsed off and done?
Yep, just rinse and go.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #58
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Thanks for the feedback. Now I just need to finish purchasing everything (or should I say start purchasing), and finalize my eventual stocking plan. At this point, I think the next update will be in my eventual build thread... unless something else pops up.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Now I just need to finish purchasing everything (or should I say start purchasing), and finalize my eventual stocking plan. At this point, I think the next update will be in my eventual build thread... unless something else pops up.
Have you decided on a light spectrum for your lighting?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #60
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Not yet. Since I'm going with polyps for the most part, I'm not sure what lighting I'll need. I figure I'll go with gieseman or ati bulbs... just not sure which ones. Hadn't even thought about it since that's down the road. Opinions are certainly welcome though

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com