Planning a Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to mention, I'm doing some trading on some surplus items tomorow... Picking up a small sump, as well as some acrylic to make the 20 long if the 'small' one isn't big enough. Also getting 2 Tunze 6045's and dual float switch with BNIB aqualifter

Did you decide on a four or six bulbs? Other thing I was going to mention was the salt choice. Instant ocean is fine for a FOWLR, which is what you are starting with, but down the road when you switch to Reef, you will probably want to change your salt.

Yes, Reef Crystals is a good salt for what you are planning to keep. Are you more interested in a daylight or blue look for the tank?

mfdrookie516 said:
I've got the 4 bulb already... so if I need to add another 2 bulbs, that's possible. I was looking at IO reef crystals... that work?

It would but it would contain unneeded nutrients which would be usually used for corals.

But there will be corals in the tank... Is it really necessary to use regular IO until I put corals in?

BTW... what are your opinions of the Tunze 6045's ?

But there will be corals in the tank... Is it really necessary to use regular IO until I put corals in?

BTW... what are your opinions of the Tunze 6045's ?

No, you can go ahead and use Reef Crystals from the beginning, it does have some ingrediants that regular IO does not, but nothing harmful. It'll just be a little more expensive that way.

As for the 6045s, are you considering them for a wave maker?

Well, I'm doing a trade for them tomorrow. I'm trading a bare 40b tank and a little cash for all the stuff listed at the top of the page (sump, acrylic to make another sump, two tunze 6045's, and a float switch and NIB aqualifter)

Last edited:
Well, I'm doing a trade for them tomorrow. I'm trading a bare 40b tank and a little cash for all the stuff listed at the top of the page (sump, acrylic to make another sump, two tunze 6045's, and a float switch and NIB aqualifter)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The 6045s aren't controllable, and aren't recommended for a wavemaker with short intervals. They also chatter on start -up (all according to this link; Tunze NanoStream pumps and powerheads 6025, 6045, 6055, 6095). I wouldn't want to use them on a wave maker given those factors, but the adjustable flow rate may be handy, and it looks like on the max setting they should be putting out a pretty good flow rate. Again, this is one I've never used (although I have used the bigger tunze powerheads and like them a lot for directional flow). Tunze has a very good rep.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy had them in a 40 breeder. They look pretty good. I may get one of the JBJ's that we had talked about if needed, but this should definitely help the cost a lot.

Indeed anything relatively free is good, and to me anytime I'm trading surplus its relatively free.

Looks like this tank might be set up sooner than I thought. I picked up the sump, as well as some acrylic to build a sump if needed... the powerheads, and the ATO unit today. I cleaned off the powerheads (which he had running in vinegar... such a nice gesture since I didn't even ask him to... saved me a lot of trouble) and put them in my 40b with some plants in it. Man, those things have some flow. If the flow isn't what it should be, I've found that there's a plastic lip in the powerhead that can be cut out that will drastically increase the flow. I also got a shipment notification on my sand and rock, looks like it'll be here on Tuesday. Really, to get this thing set up, all I need are the plumbing parts and return pump, salt, refractometer, and RO/DI unit. I'll not need the lights for a while, but I'm still contemplating the best bulb combo (thanks Wy Renegade for bringing that up). Looking at aquacave, they have 4 ATI bulbs... the Aquablue Special, Blue Plus +, Purple Plus, and True Actinic 03 . Is some combination of those bulbs a good choice, or should I look at the Giesemanns instead?

A lot of people, including myself recommend a combination of (2) blue +'s and (2) aquablue specials - At least in a 4-bulb fixture.

Get 4oz of Dr Tims one an only. It's bacteria in a bottle that actually works. They ship it with cold packs to keep it refridgeratored to slow the bacteria down which helps it last longer. It won't give you an instant cycle but will drastically decrease cycle time. Drsfostersmith carries it.

A lot of people, including myself recommend a combination of (2) blue +'s and (2) aquablue specials - At least in a 4-bulb fixture.

I also prefer this bulb setup. :) Gives good color and growth doesnt seem to be an issue.

I like the blue plus, the true atinics. and the aquablue specials, you also may want to look at the UVL 75/25 14000K aquablue. I would use two of the blue plus, and a combination of two of the others.

Looks like a good plan. I had a vortech MP40 but I would have needed 4 on my new tank to keep them turned down so the noise level would stay low. Problem is, besides the cost, I have a 2 year old almost 3, who pulled the dry side off on me. I would have to duct tape them down and that isn't happening. So I sold the mp40 and got the koralia magnum 6 with wave maker. In my 72, just the one was more flow than the mp40. And it is dead silent.

I would suggest when you get a nem, going with a tank raised one if possible. My clowns took awhile but they love their RBTA.

Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Back
Top Bottom