Planning a Tank Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ants86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I'm planning a tank move about 45 minutes away and would appreciate some advice on the below issues. As I'm moving out of state to a much smaller apartment, I won't have the space or time at this moment to care for a reef tank, so I'm going to set it up in my brother-in-law's dentist office instead. It is a 60 gallon mixed reef tank (about 2.5 years old), with 10 gallon sump and durso pipe drain system.

1) I am planning to take out all the rocks (along with the corals on them) and put them into individual buckets or containers for the transfer. The tank itself will I think be empty during the move. This will effectively be a very large water change. What is the biggest percentage water change that is safe?

2) I also want to take this chance to swap out the sandbed. I have an opened bag of Live Reef Aragonite Sand (around 20 lbs) that has been sitting out in room temperature for about 6 months. Can I just dump out the existing sandbed and set up the tank with the new sand from the opened bag of "live sand"? Will that start a new cycle? If I can't just do that, how can I get the sand ready for the move (which will be in about 3-4 weeks)?

3) Any general tips about moving tanks?

Thanks in advance!

I did 100% new water on my upgrade. My tank has never looked better. Does the live sand have an expiry date on? I'd personally get a new bag

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom