Planning for softies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good afternoon all!

I have recently set up my first FOWLR tank after converting from fresh to saltwater.

The tank is 180l, with plenty of LR
Protein skimmer
2 powerheads

1 common clown
1 black and white clown
1 royal gramma
4x micro hermit crabs
(Added gradually the last 3 weeks or so, not all at once)

I have been keeping an eye on my params every other day or so and all seems to be perfect.

Salinity - 1026 (sometimes reads 1025)
Ph - 8.3
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - under 10
Phosphate - between 0 and 0.5 but I need to buy a new test for this as it isn't very accurate

i have just ordered my upgraded lights from t8 to t5 (1x blue with 20,000 kelvin + 1x white 15000 kelvin)

I do not intend to add any further fish for a while until I've added a few corals and everything is all good for a month or so. When I do, does anyone have any recommendations for a good 'centrepiece' fish for this size tank? I would love a flame angel but i dont want to risk it eating all the corals!

Some of the corals I intend to add at first are

Mushrooms
Green star polyps
Yellow polyps
Xenia
Kenya tree

Do you think this will be ok?
Anything else i should consider doing or adding?

Thanks!

Must... Resist... MTS!!

This should give you an idea for softies and LPS corals. Every coral in here is hardy and was placed in my tank 15 years ago. No feeding or special treatment. Just PWC`s Every two weeks.

6218-albums6405-picture32403.jpg

Wow that looks amazing! What lighting are you using? Any suggestions of what i should start with from the ones i mentioned above?

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Good afternoon peeps! Any help on the above would be immensely appreciated :)

Also, after yesterday's tests for some strange reason my phosphates have shot up to about 0.8... :/ (so glad I didnt jump straight in with the corals!) not sure why this is? I 00% am not overfeeding and have been using rodi water...

The only thing i could think of is maybe since my rodi unit was fairly cheap that i may need to replace the resin already? (Used to fill up the whole tank and 4/5 water changes since)

I will check the tds when i get home thisevening.

Is there any fix to this? I will try to do 2 water changes this week instead of one, but since i dont have a sump or a phosphate reactor not sure what else can be done... Thanks

Must... Resist... MTS!!

The price you paid for your RODI unit has nothing to do with how fast the di resin is used up. It's either your pre-filters are spent or it's your source water.

I tested the tds over the weekend and it was only 2... Not sure why it has gone up then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that looks amazing! What lighting are you using? Any suggestions of what i should start with from the ones i mentioned above?

Must... Resist... MTS!!

I use LED lights now. Then I used VHO`s. Usually Bubble corals, leathers and mushrooms are the way to go.

Do you think this mix would work well? Found a good deal local to me for all together...

Hammer coral
Kenya tree
Nuclear green polyp
Blue clove polyp

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom