Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
I've never read anything bad about refugiums. Why would it be a "no no"?
When you have some free time read this thread. You will never use a Fuge again. I belong to thereeftank as well and this guy has a great reputation on the site and really knows his stuff.

Refugium Discussion Thread
__________________

__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
I'm with BeenGirl when I ask why are refugiums bad? They can lower nitrates (not much, but better than nothing), a protective space for pods and macroalgae to grow, and can help balance the tank if you have a reverse light cycle. During daylight hours, plants release oxygoen and in the darkness plants release CO2 and use oxygen. Same for corals so if you switched the lighting, the refugium marine plants would be giving off O2 during the night and the corals would give off CO2 balancing it out somewhat and vise versa.
__________________

__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
When you have some free time read this thread. You will never use a Fuge again. I belong to thereeftank as well and this guy has a great reputation on the site and really knows his stuff.

Refugium Discussion Thread
Oh posted after you posted this...what's a brief overview..like the main points...excess nutrients that adds to nitrates? Just pretty much guessing here.
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
I'm with BeenGirl when I ask why are refugiums bad? They can lower nitrates (not much, but better than nothing), a protective space for pods and macroalgae to grow, and can help balance the tank if you have a reverse light cycle. During daylight hours, plants release oxygoen and in the darkness plants release CO2 and use oxygen. Same for corals so if you switched the lighting, the refugium marine plants would be giving off O2 during the night and the corals would give off CO2 balancing it out somewhat and vise versa.
I personally dont run one in my Reef tank because Its bare bottom to keep nutrients at a minimum and a fuge kind of makes that pointless. but i would consider one for a FOWLR but not in a BB reef.
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Fair enough. Even with the fuges w/ just rubble rock, no sand and chaeto? Or does the detritus that could possibly get caught in there contribute to more waste?
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Oh posted after you posted this...what's a brief overview..like the main points...excess nutrients that adds to nitrates? Just pretty much guessing here.
the last time i read it was like 6 months ago so i cant really tell you off the top of my head but its basically a nitrate factory. you dont see much benefit from having a fuge. Also the fact that people search for pod farming but if you want a lower nutrient tank you wont have many pods because pods flourish in high nutrient environments so theres no reason to have one.
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Hmm thanks for the brief overview. Definitely love learning new things and different opinions. Might eventually do an experiment w/ 2 tanks one without a fuge and one w/ a fuge. It would be pretty interesting to see the differences IMO!
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Fair enough. Even with the fuges w/ just rubble rock, no sand and chaeto? Or does the detritus that could possibly get caught in there contribute to more waste?
rubble and cheato is terrible because it collects tons of detritus that is rarely siphoned out.
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CleverBs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 2,210
so I think im going to do this set up a bit differently now. I was looking at my tanks today and decided that a 40g in wall reef would be really cool and I think I would enjoy it more then the 75g reef because it would be easier to clean and I would be able to get it to look the way I want much easier and cheaper lol. Also all the reef fish that I love would be perfectly happy in a 40g tank.

So my plan is currently

240g /w 75g Sump

40g Reef /w 75g Sump/Frag Tank
__________________
75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs
so I think im going to do this set up a bit differently now. I was looking at my tanks today and decided that a 40g in wall reef would be really cool and I think I would enjoy it more then the 75g reef because it would be easier to clean and I would be able to get it to look the way I want much easier and cheaper lol. Also all the reef fish that I love would be perfectly happy in a 40g tank.

So my plan is currently

240g /w 75g Sump

40g Reef /w 75g Sump/Frag Tank
Sounds like a plan.. I love 40 breeders
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.